The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to setting up my 30G Oceanic cube + 10G DIY acrylic sump. I was wondering if a Mag 9.5 would be too much flow for a return pump in an earlier post. It turns out that it is.

When run at full blast, the Mag 9.5 overflows my Lifereef overflow box rated at max 700 GPH. It's a good thing I installed a ball valve after the Mag 9.5 output. This way I can control the flow, although I'm scared it will hurt the Mag in the long run. I currently have it set to about 80% of max flow. Maybe I'll downtrade to a Mag 7 in the future.

I've got the Mag returning flow through a SCWD and one Hydor rotating output for a total of 3 outputs (2 running at all times). It seems to work great. The water currents are always shifting in the tank. In a week or 2, I'll be able to move everything from my 24G nanocube DX into this tank. BTW, I'll have this NC for sale in several weeks if anyone is interested.

Attached are a few pics. First is my new cube with some LR. Second is my DIY sump. Third is my nanocube as of last month.

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Maxim:thumbup:
Tank looks great :beer:
Thats a good looking calendar ya got there to :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Good so far, but I would do two things. T off your return and plumb it into a carbon/phosphate reactor of some kind, that way you actually use the extra flow from your pump for something good.

Second ditch that PC and get yourself a halide. Either the 150w clip on or a 250w pendant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts