The Reef Tank banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Alrighty everyone. Yesterday I should’ve had all the plumbing done. Guess what….that didn’t happen. Ran into issues with bulkheads not fitting and having to make modifications to the stock tanks with a dremmel. So far so good.

I knew I was going to have to modify this as pictured. I was originally going to put SCH80 bulkhead in the 100g stock tank for my sump, however that wouldn’t fit. So I did the SCH40. Which was fine…..until the flange or the nut wouldn’t fit on the inside of the tank because it was hitting the tank. So I cut off a little of the flange side of the bulkhead and it fit perfectly.

so I did a stand pipe on the I side. The cap isn’t glued, figured I could use this for water changes

but I plugged the outside. And used food grade thread sealant

so I opted for the horizontal overflow in place of the floor drain. I made my own, as you can see. Nothing special

So my drain lines are gated, they’ll dump into the blue mini milk crate that will hold poly-fil for mechanical filtration.

I’ll have to plum my return pump in on the fly. But I did put in a ball valve, then it’ll be a union then pump. No check valve on this build.

And here’s my current status. So I haven’t gotten as far as I wanted to today, yet. It’s brutally hot and humid out so I’ll be moving fish later today.

More to come!!!

-Blair

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
Keep going Pal......you're getting there! AWESOME!
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
Is that new or old sand in the tank?
Hack

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nice catch Pal about the ceiling insulation.....THAT would have made a crying mess! 👍
Hack
So I didn’t get the plastic up yet, but I will in the next few days.

Is that new or old sand in the tank?
Hack
it’s a new one.

alright. Well. I moved it all yesterday (along with big furniture out of my house). 12 hours later and we had everything moved. Not much went right yesterday, lost my yellow eye Kole tang which I’ve had for years, and lost a Desjardini sailfin. Corals seem good.
Interesting thing, I found an extra tiger tail sea cucumber 😳. I had almost forgot about my Melanarus wrasse, luckily a friend was scooping out sand and saw him flopping around.

My reeflo pump is leaking at the seal, so I ordered a new one. I would imagine I’ll be fine til then, it’s barely even leaking.

I’ll have to adjust my lights. So far everything looks good.

over the next few days I’ll work on wire management.

-Blair

·
16,599 Posts
RIGHT SMACK DAB IN FRONT OF ME!

.......Was doing a frantic web search this past week, called all hands to assist me.....NODA!
There was a really, REALLY COOL tank I saw....loved the layout, the way the rocks were layed out strewn about, not all piled up like usual. NO ONE could help me remember, though several were on with me when I/We saw it.

Guess what....It's your set up Blair! 🤔 :ROFLMAO:

I simply love the unconventional lay our...more natural as though you were approaching a reef from the depths, slowly rising before you.
There'll be a STICKY in this Pal IF/when I get my new build going. Though it will be demonstrably smaller....certainly now more than 90'ish gallons......I think I could work with this.

Seriously SORRY to hear of the loss n issues pulling the move off, glad to hear it seems to have come out well.
How's the system going for you since the big day?
Hack

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
RIGHT SMACK DAB IN FRONT OF ME!

.......Was doing a frantic web search this past week, called all hands to assist me.....NODA!
There was a really, REALLY COOL tank I saw....loved the layout, the way the rocks were layed out strewn about, not all piled up like usual. NO ONE could help me remember, though several were on with me when I/We saw it.

Guess what....It's your set up Blair! 🤔 :ROFLMAO:

I simply love the unconventional lay our...more natural as though you were approaching a reef from the depths, slowly rising before you.
There'll be a STICKY in this Pal IF/when I get my new build going. Though it will be demonstrably smaller....certainly now more than 90'ish gallons......I think I could work with this.

Seriously SORRY to hear of the loss n issues pulling the move off, glad to hear it seems to have come out well.
How's the system going for you since the big day?
Hack

Haha thanks Hack!!!! Yea, it's a bit different, right?!

Yea, everything is doing pretty good. I lost the green chromis, found him floating and partially eaten today. I knew it was only a matter of time until that happened considering he was so small. Everything else is doing great, fish are SWIMMING throughout this thing, it's amazing seeing them dart around and in and out of the rock work. I can honestly say, so far, this top down view is just down right amazing. It's not easy to take pics, because you can see the reflection of the lights, but to the naked eye, it's amazing. I still have a few things to do, like get an extension cord for my chaeto light. I still need to replace my seal on my pump. I also just ordered another FMM module along with 4 optical sensors that I'm going to install (high and low sensor for the sump and the main display). 2 of the sensors I'll have to drill holes for (high level) and the other 2 are magnets. I am starting to get some of the uglies on the new sand, but it's rather slow and I think I'll be able to manage it pretty good. I haven't adjusted my lighting yet, I actually just got my Seneye fixed (let me tell you how that debacle went trying to communicate with Germany in a timely manner). Unfortunately I don't know what my original PAR levels were, but I'll try to go off of what they were when I installed and record them on the 210g old tank. Speaking of old tank, the old main display and sump are just sitting in the yard, god knows when I'll get to them. We laid them both on their side so I could clean them out eventually. I ended up throwing away both stands as I just didn't like them, nor did I trust them anymore. I even threw away my old Synergy ghost overflows. Well, more to come. Not sure when, but it'll be coming. We are supposed to get 7+ inches of rain here starting tomorrow (Wednesday) so I'm sure I'll be rather busy the next couple of days.

That's about it for now. I'll try to figure out how to upload a video and I'll post some more pics soon.

- Blair

·
16,599 Posts
THANKS for the cool up date Blair......and really looking forward to seeing this journey play out!
Be safe with Ida passing through.....we may get some of it's effects, as I see GALE WARNINGS are now up here at the shore.
Peace,
Hack

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Kind of had to set up your macro light on opposite timing with that set up
Yea you aren't kidding.

THANKS for the cool up date Blair......and really looking forward to seeing this journey play out!
Be safe with Ida passing through.....we may get some of it's effects, as I see GALE WARNINGS are now up here at the shore.
Peace,
Hack
Thanks, Hack!! All is well here. Of course we had all kinds of flooding in the area. We got pretty lucky, our sump pumps kept up with is, so no water in the basement. I think we got about 9" of rain.

I finally replaced the seal on the pump. I think it's time to get a back up pump from Reeflo. The shaft was pretty rusted, but it's not leaking anymore.

The tank is going through the uglies still, so I ordered a big CUC from ReefCleaners which should be here Tuesday. I haven't done a WC yet on this setup. But I plan to just put the old tank water in the sump pit. The only reason I haven't done a WC yet is I don't trust leaving my mixing station on while I'm not there. (We haven't been staying at this house which is a grandparent, we've actually been staying at the in-laws less than a mile down the road. They just had much more room here for the setup.) I actually ended up flooding the basement (which is half finished) once and then did it a again (which was minor) while I was moving the fish. The first one was my fault, but Idk why the float valve didn't work so I'll be messing with that this weekend.

I hooked up 2 optical sensors, one for too low water in the sump and the same in the display. The alarms sounded one night (while I was at work) for the sump, and saw the my water flow in the return pump was dropping. I was worried things were leaking. Of course when I got home, that wasn't the case. Nori came out of the clip and covered overflow, so the DT couldn't drain fast enough to keep up with the pump. I have switched temporarily switched some things around. The sump low water level optical is still the low warning, however I moved the DT low level up to show if it started to overflow. It had to be AWFULLY close to overflowing the other night. I will hopefully install the 2 other optical sensors this weekend. I think I'm also going to modify the return a little bit and put some more holes in it to get some more flow.

Corals are looking great!!! Fish are doing great!!!

I want to make a plexiglass cover/lid for the sump to keep the salt creep/splashing down.

I still have to put up the plastic sheets on the ceiling as well.

I think that's about it for now.

- Blair

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Bummer on the flooding, that will tank the fun out of things super fast.,
Yea, it sure does. Especially when it's not YOUR house. Fortunately the basement has gotten wet before so family wasn't upset. But it sure has made my anxiety quite high.

I do notice every few days I get a bit of film on the surface of the water in the DT and some bubbles. I'm sure this is from lack of flow and breaking the water's surface. I'm around 320gph on my return going to 2 lines. I just ordered another WAV that I'll use to disturb the surface of the water more. I think this, coupled with adjusting the overflow, will help a lot with that.

-Blair

21 - 35 of 35 Posts