The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 344 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I will start with my 30g tank build. Hopefully, the community will follow along and provide some help and advice along the way. Here's what's planned:

30 gal (36X16X12) tank with mostly soft corals, internal overflow
15-20 gal sump under cabinet with Coralife Super Skimmer
custom made cabinet
Ice Cap ballast with 2 (90 watt) VHO bulbs

Went to home depot last night and got some 2X4's to frame out the cabinet. Planning on a little different design with the hood attached and supported by the main structure in the back. Hard to explain but think of it as looking like a "C" from the side and the tank slides into the opening in the front. Haven't seen anyone make one like that before, not sure why not. If anyone see's a problem with that, pls let me know. The cabinet and hood will have 1/2 inch plywood skin. Hope to have pics up tonight of the progress.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
I have a system at home with such a setup, I will take some pix showing how I worked around some of the issues with the tank in such a stand. It leaves lots of room behind the tank for the plumbing in a non-obtrusive manner.

What will you be keeping in your system in terms of creatures? Do you want fishes, if so, how many?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only fish I think I'll have is a clown percula, just because I like the way they look. Otherwise, only snails, crabs, and shrimp to keep nutrient import to a minimum.

BTW, I'm taking my tank to get it drilled for a bulkhead tonight (thanks TDWYATT for your recommendations on Aquarium Oddities). Does anyone have any words of wisdom about the location of the bulkhead hole? That is, how many inches from the edges, etc.?

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Chuck at Aquarium oddities will take good care of you, ask him for his recommendations, although the suggested min is at least a diameter away from the edge and from other holes.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went to see Chuck tonight at Aquarium Oddities - great shop, drilled the hole for me while I waited and didn't even charge me for it. His place had some very nice displays and beautiful frags, good prices too. Don't want to sound like a commercial, but his place is definitely worth a trip if anyone is nearby.
Got home late but I got some of the framing for the stand done. How do I post pics?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I pm'd you about putting in some photos. I'm anxious to see them - since I'm planning on setting up a 30 gallon soon.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More good news! I was going to try to make arogocrete and was bummed about the possible weeks it would take to cure (any delay is bad) but now, I've found a source for some pre-cured aragocrete!! Woohoo!!

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got a little more work done, here's a pic of the frame completed. I've also started to cut the plywood skin and hopefully will have it on tomorrow and start working on the hood.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Cool build thread!

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, spent a couple of minutes before work this morning and got the side panels on.

And here's how it looks with the tank on.

1 - 20 of 344 Posts