The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all, when a 3 yea old is mentioned it must be bad. Well my son dumped laundry detergent in my tank, as you can imagine it wipped everything out. My question is, can my live rock be saved and reused or must I throw out? I imgine that the sand must go as there is probably no way of cleaning it.

Please post suggestions if anny, man I had my tank for almost a year :(

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Man im sorry to hear about that,I would start all over get new rock detergeants have high phosphates in them dont take a chance,real sorry :(

·
Administrator
48,724 Posts
Ouch :( thats a real shame, I doubt that the effort is worth trying to recover the rock and stuff. Hopefully if you rebuild it will be harder for a youngster to pour soap in, not that he should be able to access cleaning stuff :( Oh Man you coulda lost WAY MORE than an aquarium

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, this really sucks. My tank was starting to look good, I am so mad that I do not know if I will rebuild. This is not a cheap hobby and having to re-start again is difficult.

Dough, the laudry room is on the other side of the wall where my aquarium sits. We usually keep powder detergent and he seldomlly goes there but I do not know what got over him this time. Needless to say I will keep the detergent out of his reach next time and thank God that he did not try tasting or eating it. Man this really sucks :(

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Dude... ya can't toss in the towel...

Start off slow with a FOWLR..... May I suggest a volitan lionfish... ;)

That'll teach littlin to stay out of the fish tank.....

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Redemption;

That is really too bad :( You probably aren't only mad, you probably are grieving for your tank as well. Give it a little time, most folks want to rebuild after a disaster, once the heartsickness wears off a bit.

You might want to consider getting cabinet locks for the stand and canopy. I did with my first tank when the kids were younger, I had visions of pennies, soap, a can of fish food all dancing through my head.

Heh, maybe I should have kept the locks. I found one of my son's friends in the tank up to his shoulder a couple weeks ago :mad:

Good luck to you!

Alice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.