The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I am new to the hobby and new to The Reef Tank.

I am in the process of having a 250 gallon salt water aquarium custom built. I have documented my game plan, if you will, and would appreciate any feedback.

Please let me know your thoughts on my plan. Please be completely honest as you will not hurt my feelings. I am still learning everyday about this hobby!

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Attachments

·
11,345 Posts
Welcometo TRT!!

:thumbup: looks SWEET!!

The only place i see you might want to reconsider is the pump running your closed loop(im assuming closed loop) spraybar. You could use a LOT more total waterflow in a tank that size. I would recommend something more like a sequence barracuda (4500 gph)and since you dont seem to be cutting any corners, might as well throw a Oceans motions 4-way or 8 way on that poump and you can run 6 OTHER lines, alternating along with that spraybar to get a sweet random flow in the tank.

thats what i just did on a 225...every lkine you see here is for the cls with the exception of the straight pipe across the top.....thats my sump returns. the only pipes in this tank are the spraybars

Even if you dont go with an OM, i would still reconsider that 1800 gph pump and add at least a couple more oputlets to your cls besides the spraybars.

One other thing is maybe NOT do the crushed coral or live sand. Starting fresh is a luxury and you should take advantage of it. Id go 100% aragonite and maybe seed it with 5 or ten pounds of live...or just be patient and let it become live on its own. With adequate healthy rock, it is not necessary to be live right off the bat assuming you dont add a bunch of fish immediately. Plus, it is cheaper than live sand.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise! I will strongly consider that. I don't want to cut any corners, because I only want to pay for this once!!! Also, I want a lot of waterflow so I will talk with the guy building my tank. Thanks again!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Fly Guy said:
One other thing is maybe NOT do the crushed coral or live sand. Starting fresh is a luxury and you should take advantage of it. Id go 100% aragonite and maybe seed it with 5 or ten pounds of live...or just be patient and let it become live on its own. With adequate healthy rock, it is not necessary to be live right off the bat assuming you dont add a bunch of fish immediately. Plus, it is cheaper than live sand.
um you told me that it was ok to start with dead crushed coral? im confused now...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

Nice plan for a nice tank.
I also tought about the angels possibly fighting, may have to keep an eye on them just to be sure.
I think before adding the six line and the mandaring you should let the tank settle and produce lots of pods because both fish will eat them and if there aren't enough they will eat all of them. So maybe add those after a few months, unless they are eating frozen foods.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Looks like its going to be a nice setup.

May think again about the six lines and mandarins. All 4 of those fish will be competing for the same food source, so it may not work out.
Having two angels in that large of a tank should be fine, but may present a problem with fighting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi everyone!

Thanks for the feedback. I do appreciate it. I will wait on the angels maybe only go with the coral beauty. But, will they pick at my corals as well? I plan on waiting probably about 8 months or so for the mandarins. And will probably only get 1 6-line. Should hopefully that will help. Also, the refug should to produce their food, correct? Also do you think this is too many fish or could I have more or does it just depend on the water quality as I add the bioload?

Thanks again,
Joe

·
11,345 Posts
I think the anount of fish you want is more than fine. Im not sure about the angels and being reef safe......ive never had one but iu have heard of a lot of issues with them. I think youre right on as far as adding a mandarin after your tank gets settled and full of pods and then adding a six line when you AGAIN see mass amounts of pods after adding the mandarin. I would almost consider adding the sixline first because he doesnt ONLY eat pods and you could add him earlier.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I will do so. I am thinking about the following timeline:

First, I plan to setup the tank and add the live rock and substrate. Let that run and cure the rock for about 6 to 8 weeks. Then, add the cleaning crew. Let it run another 4 to 6 weeks. Then, add the Blue Reef Chromis. Let is run another 2 to 4 weeks. After that I would then slowly add additional fish and corals.

Do you think this will work? Do you think I need to wait that long before adding the cleaning crew?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!!

:wavey:

am i reading that right. it is 72"X 75"X 26"? that is a lot bigger than 250g.

how noisy do you want this system? i would go with Sequence pumps for anything higher than 1000gph. i would use a Velocity T3 for the return pump. these are the quietest pumps around. LG are a bit noisy. if the pumps are going to be housed somwhere else than this could be a mute point.

why go with a substrate at all? on a tank that big i would not want to have to replace the SB 3-4 years down the road. :(

G~

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Geoff said:
Welcome to TRT!!!

:wavey:

am i reading that right. it is 72"X 75"X 26"? that is a lot bigger than 250g.

how noisy do you want this system? i would go with Sequence pumps for anything higher than 1000gph. i would use a Velocity T3 for the return pump. these are the quietest pumps around. LG are a bit noisy. if the pumps are going to be housed somwhere else than this could be a mute point.

why go with a substrate at all? on a tank that big i would not want to have to replace the SB 3-4 years down the road. :(

G~

I did that too Geoff those are the overall dimension including the stand
Tank Dimensions are 71 1/2 x 24 x 30

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol.. yeah the tank is only 71 1/2 x 24 x 30... that is for the complete stand and everything...

the pumps are going to be housed in the garage... i made that decision today... i am going to have a 50 gallon drum there and do the auto fill solution... so i am not too worried about the noise....

no substrate?? i didn't know this was possible... how does this work?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had two dwarf angels in my 180 gallon tank and had absolutely no fighting. As far as going with no substrate that's called bare bottom and it can be done a few ways, the first and least popular is just to place the rocks on the glass bottom. The second way is called a starboard setup you take a piece of HDPE (high density polyethelene) and place it down first and then place your rocks on it, annother way is to use pvc sections and set your rocks on them. These are just a few ways to go bare bottom, if you check down the list of links on the main menu there is a section that is about substrate free tanks and you can also search for bare bottom and come up with loads of info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts