The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched from a 75 dsb to this 180bb 2 months ago. Things have settled down finally and my corals are starting to color up so I figured that I should post some pics.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Very nice! Be nice to watch it grow out. It will be a stunner in a couple of years. Please continue to update with pics....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks y'all.

I haven't had any water param issues - clean as a whistle. The ph is a little lower than I want at 8.15-8.2. I think that blowing off the rocks has a negative effect on the montis? I had an issue with them for a bit, but it tapered off. I made no changes other than not blowing off the rocks. Did wiskey have this too? I'm major anal about water changes and siphoning - I feed A LOT. Most people freak when they see it. Fish need to eat. Mine are fat, long lived, and energetic.

·
Detritus is not a pet
386 Posts
I keep seeing this problem about some having nitrate or other problems when they blow off their rocks. Aren't we supposed to have our flow tweaked as to not having to blow off the rocks? I've blown the rocks on my tank a few times and have found that there is little to no debris flying off, and I have a huge bioload and feed accordingly.

IMO the problem seems to be that there's accumulation of debris on the rock surface and once the rock is blown all that crap is released and is causing the problems. Why not just adjust the flow so that there's no accumulation in the first place?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
panic said:
I think that blowing off the rocks has a negative effect on the montis? I had an issue with them for a bit, but it tapered off. I made no changes other than not blowing off the rocks. Did wiskey have this too?
Whiskey blew up his tank by blowing off his rock. ;)

I think keeping the rock clean is a very good idea, but I also think that the first few months after cooking with only 3 MJ 1200's for flow, and the first 7 with a sub-par skimmer loaded my rocks back up again, then when I finally got around to blasting them off I really mucked up my WQ. I also think that my rocks were of the wrong type (land based) because they were all mushy in the middle and I don't believe they were doing their job.

All is well now, and I think I am going to spurge for the $8.50 per pound "premium" (non-land based) rock. I will probably add it slow, and keep the poundage way down though.

Whiskey

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Makes sense that the flow should keep it out of the rocks, but some detrius finds it's way in the nooks and crannies. There is just enough crap in there to make the water cloudy when I blow the rocks off with a powerhead. I have 8000 gph of flow in there on OM and Revolutions - you'd think it would keep the rock clean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts