The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

I have a brand new 60g Fluval Profile 850 aquarium set up in my basement. So far the tank has been up and running for 3.5 weeks now. Approximately 2wks ago i added 2 30lb bags of live sand and purchased 2 large pieces of live rock. After finally achieving proper salinity/specific gravity levels, i purchased 2 green Chromi's to kick start the filtration.

In terms of filtration i have 2 canister filters running - a Fluval 305 (drilled) and a Fluval 205. I also have a 200w digital Fluval heater maintaining a temperature of 86F.

So far i have noticed that the coral looking live rock has changed in color from white to a rusty brown look. The other piece of live rock i have looks less like dead coral and more like ginger root? haha. Both of them are supposedly from Fiji. I have noticed an influx in algae growth which i hope is a good sign.

In terms of lighting: the tank comes equipped with 2 separate lighting fixations each holding 2 T5 lighting. I hope to buy a couple timers and perhaps a different light spectrum to exchange 2 of the 4 bulbs.

I bought a water testing kit and measured most of the levels including Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, Ammonia and salinity. Just 2 days after adding the 2 Chromis all levels were perfect aside from the pH - which was fairly low.

Anyways, those are the specs as of Oct.5, 2011. I know i live all the way in Canada but the forum i tried to participate in here in my home town proves to be useless and no updated (it hasn't even confirmed me as a registered member!).

I am completely open to any suggestions or advice so please don't hesitate :D

I look forward to this forum because you all sound brilliant and experienced - can't wait! Thanks!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
hello and welcome. 1st what are you planning on keeping in the tank? also i think 86 is way to hot. i have a reef tank and keep mine around 78 or 80 at the most. you need to turn down the heater a bit. probally will need more liverock as well, better to go ahead and do the liverock now before you start adding live stock later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

So far i plan on keeping a combination of fish and corals, but i am in no means of a rush. I agree with you on the high temperature. Last night i lowered it to 82 but i think i'm going to take your advice and maintain it at 78. In terms of the live rock, i purchased a few large pieces online and they should be in either today or tomorrow. Is it ok to just mix different types of live rock? The new rock i purchased is called Premium Deco Gulf Live Rock, i got it from a source on ebay. i hope its reliable lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also had another quick question... why does the sand turn brown? I'm assuming its normal since i've seen the aquariums in the stores look like that, but what the reasoning behind it?

·
Registered
432 Posts
all part of the cycle process, your gonna have algae break out its all part of stay on track with your WC and basic maintenance

·
Registered
25 Posts
The sand turning brown is evidence of a diatom bloom. The sand, no doubt, is still white under the diatoms. Sounds like you're right on track. Mixing live rock from different areas shouldn't be a problem as long as you are okay with the way it looks. I've seen tanks with the large round chunks mixed with the branching type of rock and they tend to look kinda "tossed together".

When you first add a piece of live rock, there are typically things attached that die and rot...with this in mind, you could wait your 4-6 weeks to cycle your tank, add more rock and have to wait again. The only way around it would be to keep the rock in a separate container while it "cures".

·
Registered
249 Posts
i would drop the temp to around 78 that should be good. the brown on the sand is just part of the cycle make sure to keep up with your water changes, you are using ro/di water right?
it is fine to mix the types of rock, i have few different kinds in mine. i recommend getting all the live rock first before you move onto the livestock. then let it cycle for around 2 months(probally less since you have already started). its better not to rush it. doing it this way will make sure your cycle is over, the rock scape will already be set, then you can focus on adding your live stock.
-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts