The Reef Tank banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1232 Posts

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, since I ordered my tank, Scott mentioned I may as well start the build thread. The tank is a 4'x3'x17" in starfire (3 sides) and black silicone. I ordered the basic tank and plan to do all the drilling myself as well as a CTC overflow with Bean's SAFSOS (http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx)

I also ordered a 40 Long glass tank at the same time (36"x18"x13") for my sump. There are going to be some neat ideas I plan to do to this tank, and it will take me a little time to do the build. I have to build a stand for it, so I am looking for what I want (ideas)currently. The tanks arrive on Dec 12th, so the build won't even start until then... but here's kinda what I am looking towards as far as design, not quite as much rockwork, I want it to be a little more open.....

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, been browsing through a some pics of stands... I think I found something close to what I want. Here is a picture, I just don't want the large surround going around the tank. I do like the simplistic look of it though..

· Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
Looks like we'll be starting our build threads at the same time Tony :thumbup: Thats a nice stand but starting it so early with such a beautiful tank is really getting to me.. :lol:

· MICRO TANG
1,824 Posts
OK Come on Tony!!

You need to get out the auto cad or crayons or some sketches on restaurant napkins or toilet paper of what you have oozing around inside your head :rotflmao:

We DEMAND daily updates!!!! :lol:

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL.. with things the way they are right now, I barely have enough time to type this let along some sketchups..LOL I'll do something early next week, I have to get to designing..

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok... well here's a sketch I did today of the new tank. footprint is 4x3x17" It will have a Eurobrace. I am going to build the CTC overflow and drill it myself. Anyway here it is :

Now to start on the design work for the stand....

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
3/4" for the bottom and 3/8 (probably.. she wasn't 100% sure) on the sides.. I'm expecting 3/8's as it will have a eurobrace and trim... my 135 is 3/8's so I don't think they will go more than that.

· Kid Reefer
4,234 Posts
Awsome! I just found a 75 i might get with a built in overflow thats got nice dimensions! 48.5x21x18.5. I love the look of wide tanks, cant wait to see yours go up.

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I cant wait either... Here's the major design issue I am facing... the stand. Being that it has to hold a 4x3 tank and needs to be tall enough for good viewing I have to make it "modular" to get it into the house to its location... I am working on a few ideas right now on how to do this... hmmmm.. oh and it has to be easily taken apart in case I move int he future or decide on a different tank in the future (both arent really likely for at least 3-5 years)

1 - 20 of 1232 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.