The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 552 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a 125xh for a couple years now and in the beginning it was a predator tank. I had a lion trigger grouper and eel. Well I wanted to get away from that and go towards a pretty fowlr. And now I'm going reef. I let the tank get away from me for a while. I wasn't taking care of it at all. But after a lot of hours invested in cleaning the glass and redoing the filters it's finally in a stable condition and ready for corals. My maintainence schedule is a 10-15 gal wc once a week followed by a 5 gal wc later that week. I replace my reactor media every month. If the po4 starts creepin I run gfo in the reactor and chemipure elite in the sump.
My equipment:
Kessil A150 15k x2, 10k x2
Mp40
Koralias x3 (not very sure of the gph)
Reef octopus 1000int
Tlf reactor with carbon
Coralife uv
Return pump is mag9

Livestock
Yellow eye kole
Princess parrot
Flame angel
Coral beauty
Bangai cardinals
Blue damsels
Mandarin
Several zoa colonies
3 different brains
Mushroom colonies
A lone ricordea
Caluastrea

My plans are to add some more dry rock do I
Can have some more area for my corals. I'm going to move some of the sps from my small tank to this tank since my small tank is declining (different story.)
I will also be adding a larger pump in place of the mag9. In the next few weeks of I can find the time I want to redo all the plumbing and run two 1" drains with an over the back return instead of 1 drain and 1 return. That will be done when I get a new pump. If I redo the plumbing ill be adding a settling chamber too. Ive been thinking of a bio pellet reactor too. Still researching that tho. Stay tuned for pics and more updates.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today I added a Tom aquatics hatch n feeder to the DT. hopefully I can get it to constantly pump out brine shrimp. I also noticed my bangais are all gone. I think my nem has been snacking at night. Everything else is getting pretty fat though. My wife is surprising me with a couple fish today after work.i have no clue what I'm getting.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The flame angel is doing great. Hes a great addition. His color just *POPS* he has yet to bother any corals so fingers crossed.

Thanks tlynn. I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll have to get a new background. I'll get blue to brighten it up.

My wife got me my second favorite fish today. Naso tang! Woot woot.
She also got her favorite fish. A copperband butterfly. I've never kept one so I'm kinda worried. Oh well. PICS TO COME.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Love Naso's they remind me of horses, I don't know why. My little flame has been very respectful, and you are right you can see them for a mile. Good luck with the copperband. I like those too, but I don't know much about them.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So here's my new buddy. He's a little on the thin side. Not to worry. Hell be fat in no time

Here's my wife's new addition.

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If i recall it's 48x18x32

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hate it. It is so high. I can't do anything in it. I don't like the tall tanks. As of right now. When I get more rock in it I'm sure I'll like how it looks with a ton of corals. I think the 24x24 will look nice. Do you have a thread started.

·
Forever Learner
106 Posts
Not yet. I have been getting things for it but they are all in storage because I want to move with in the next year. The tank will be one of the first things I do when I move.

I have the tank, chiller, return pump, sump, rock and half Of the lights.

Its killing me to not start

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
If i recall it's 48x18x32
Thanks, the reason I ask is I am starting to plan a tank (still a long way off) that will be built into a wall in my basement, I am restricted to 48" so I always like to look at the tanks I would like it to be high and have some depth but I also have to make sure it can fit through the door down into the basement.

·
Doc Holiday
2,373 Posts
I like all tanks but the 18" wide is a bit narrow for me.. It looks good

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it's good to get the stuff slow so your not breaking the bank.

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
Thanks, the reason I ask is I am starting to plan a tank (still a long way off) that will be built into a wall in my basement, I am restricted to 48" so I always like to look at the tanks I would like it to be high and have some depth but I also have to make sure it can fit through the door down into the basement.
A 120 would fit that space, I think that is one of the largest tanks you can go without getting too deep.

The 150 looks great! I like the Naso! I will have one someday when I have a tank large enough to support it!

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well my naso died yesterday. The day I got it I noticed it had some sores and spots on it. I called my dealer and told them. This is what they said "tangs are hard fish to deal with. We have a hard time keeping them. They always seem to get ich or hurt." this is two weeks in a row that they have tried to jip me. Well I ain't taking it. I'll be replacing it with a blonde naso and not ordering any tangs from them again. My kole tang is doing great. It had a big gash on him when he came in but he's all healed up now. I'm just really bummed about my naso. He was swimming and eating on day one. Day two he declined a lot and day three DRT. I'm not sure what happened. Ill have to keep a watchful eye an make sure nothing's wrong with the tank.

1 - 20 of 552 Posts