The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, here's my nano tank which i started on 9th October.
Equipment : HOB filter 1600l/h and a protein skimmer.
I've been pouring 10cc of bacteria into the water everyday.

1)I have a 3 stripe damsel in it, I switch off my filter during feeding about half an hour during feeding, will it harm the system?
2)Should I remove the stuff in my filter?

Here's a close up of the 'live' rock

this is what's in the filter

bacteria im using

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,674 Posts
No it won't.You want to take out the filter material and use it just for flow,your rock is your filter .

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
THe most important life in live rock for filtration is bacteria and I can't tell that from the picture. WHere did the live rock come from and how was it stored. If it was kept wet it is more than likely still live. Turning off your filter won't hurt. Any biological filter in the HOB filter is probably better off being pulled out if your rock is live.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When i went to the LFS, the rock was lying in my empty tank. I dont know how longs its been left out to open air.

So now, I remove all the round white blocks in my filter? I presume the green sponge is for mechanical filtration.

I'm going to get my water tested on the 24th. By the way thanks everybody for your help here, i appreciate it a lot as I cant find any local forums that have as many active members as this one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just tested for nitrites, its at 0.3.

should i dump some brine shrimp in to get ammonia n nitrite spikes?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
if you have a damsel in there it should be cycling the tank for you. patience is the key..I wouldn't want to add too much bad stuff (ammonia) to your tank or your damsel might not take it very well. (die:( )

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Well, as cutietwo said, if you have the damsel in there already you really don't want your ammonia levels to rise too high as it will put your fish at risk. Ammonia burns the gills of your fish and can kill them. There will be enough ammonia naturally occuring because of the fish being in the system to allow the rock to cycle. I'd just give it time and watch your parameters. When things level out and ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all read 0 then you are good to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts