The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a thread for my 10 gallon nano reef with specs.

Tank Started on 8/12/11
Updated 12/10/15
-10 gallon tank
-72 Watt Quad T5HO
-Aragonite Substrate
-Koralia 240gph
-2 Koralia 425gph
-12 pounds live pukani rock
-1 Ocellaris Clown
-1 peppermint shrimp
-1 hermit crabs
-4 Snails
10/22/11
-1 Xenia Frag
-1 Yellow Zoanthid Frag
-1 Blue Zoanthid Frag
-1 Green Zoanthid Frag
11/19/11
-1 Fluorescent Green Candy Cane Coral
-1 Neon Green Frogspawn
1/14/12
-1 Orange Acan
5/2/12
-1 Farmed Neon Green Star Polyps
-1 Red Carpet Acan Frag
-1 Frank Favia Frag
-1 Blue Mushroom
12/23/12
-1 Blue Ricordia
-1 Scooter Blenny
-2 Snails
-1 Emerald Crab
1/9/12
-1 Green Hammer Head
-1 small star polyp

12/10/15
Tank Overhaul about 6 months ago
-6-8 Snails
-Pulsing Xenia
-Xenia
-Updated Rapid led Light Fixture

</a>

:fish:

12/23/12

7/9/15

12/10/15

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The tank is young and algae happens. It doesn't look like you are battling a bad problem there. If the algae started up after adding inhabitants, then it is probably because of the extra nutrients that the inhabitants are providing. Things should balance out soon. Just stay on top of your water changes and maintenance.

Looks like you are running an aquaclear filter, if so, what model? And what do you have in it?

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tank is young and algae happens. It doesn't look like you are battling a bad problem there. If the algae started up after adding inhabitants, then it is probably because of the extra nutrients that the inhabitants are providing. Things should balance out soon. Just stay on top of your water changes and maintenance.

Looks like you are running an aquaclear filter, if so, what model? And what do you have in it?
Its not an aqua clear it a marineland 5-15 gallon filter, im running carbon and a sponge i rinse in RO water every other day. I also have some rubble in the filter.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nice aquascape! Any plans for coral? Does your filter have any bio balls? Maybe try a polyfilter sponge cut down n rinse this every few weeks to cut down on water changes. They can be expensive but they last and also give chem filtration for ammonia heavy metals and can manage nitrates easier. And crushed LR can also be good in the media area and requires less maintence. Polyfilter have worked really well for my tanks. Dunno could help. But lookin gd so far!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice aquascape! Any plans for coral? Does your filter have any bio balls? Maybe try a polyfilter sponge cut down n rinse this every few weeks to cut down on water changes. They can be expensive but they last and also give chem filtration for ammonia heavy metals and can manage nitrates easier. And crushed LR can also be good in the media area and requires less maintence. Polyfilter have worked really well for my tanks. Dunno could help. But lookin gd so far!
Thanks, Yeah i do plan on doing some corals just waiting for the tank to stableize. Is poly filter the foam stuff thats half blue half white?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Def a good idea to get all your levels right first. No the polyfilter is all white and a slightly stiffer sponge. Google polyfilter. Its in a green box generally but there are a few brands. Dunno i use the green box one, its pricey but does the job well in my tank and mine is packed with coral and 5 fish in a 22gal nano. Could be good as your bio load increases.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.