The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best lighting period for a 32gal fuge with two standard 20-watt florescent lights, A pre-filter tank that also has two 20-watt florescent lights, And my main tank lights 4 x 65-watt PC run 10 hours actinic & 8 hours 10,000k? I ran the fuge & pre-filter tank 8 hours each opposite the main tank then I think the caluerpa went sexual? Should I run the fuge longer or 24/7? Is there a idea lighting period so that it won’t go sexual again?

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use caulerpa in 2 fuges. One is 24/7 the other is about 8 hrs during daylight hrs. My caulerpa never goes sexual. Both are on the same system.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FISH said:
I use caulerpa in 2 fuges. One is 24/7 the other is about 8 hrs during daylight hrs. My caulerpa never goes sexual. Both are on the same system.
Witch one grows the best? Also how often do you trim each of them? I've herd that if you keep the caluerpa trimmed that it won't go sexual? I was thinking of running the fuge 16 hours & the pre-filter 8 That way it would still be opposite of the main tank's 10,000k?

Casey
Thanks for the link I have heard that about the spaghetti macro algae: That it wont go sexual! I have also heard that the grape caluerpa will export a lot more nitrates than the spaghetti? You just need to take care of it more?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just trim it back regularly. Trim it by 75%. That will removed the nitrates and allow your refuge to flourish. You can use the other stuff but the real deal grape caulerpa exports the most waste.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toadfish said:
Just trim it back regularly. Trim it by 75%. That will removed the nitrates and allow your refuge to flourish. You can use the other stuff but the real deal grape caulerpa exports the most waste.
Thanks for the reply: I have also heard that about the Grape Caulerpa being the best as far as exporting the nitrates.

Casey:
Have you seen the spaghetti anywhere else besides E-bay? (I got burned there to many times)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
dwall174 said:
Thanks for the reply: I have also heard that about the Grape Caulerpa being the best as far as exporting the nitrates.

Casey:
Have you seen the spaghetti anywhere else besides E-bay? (I got burned there to many times)
No I havent wish I
did :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts