The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some mushrooms that a friend gave me about 3-4 weeks ago (green and red)...they don't looks so good and do not open up the way they used to. They don't get a ton of light, but I have decent water movement and the water quality is very good. Also, they don't seem to be spreading the way I would hop, any suggestions?

My salinity is around 1.024, water temp ranges from 79 to 81.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
mushrooms hate strong water movement. They will cease to open fully and will not do will long term if exposed to too much water movement.

·
Super Moderator
10,750 Posts
Once they start to spread they will spread FAST!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
They also don't like too much light, but do like enough that (depending on what type of lights you have) they may like it at the top of the tank.
I have all of my mushrooms at the top of the tank.
Once you find the right conditions for them... hang on! You'll have more than you will ever want. I said the same thing that you did... hope they will spread. Ouch! They are taking over my 12 gallon. I have been cutting them at the base and putting them in my 30 gallon. You'll be doing the same thing soon.
Good Luck.
Any pics?

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to take some pics tonight...it has been a rough week. I have a lot of new additions...so I hope I can get some photo's tonight. I really do want them to spread, I have a 125 that needs some moving vegetation, looking a little bare right now. They are in the middle of the tank right now...maybe I should try moving them?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm in the same boat as frandandmaura. My friend has been fragging his mushrooms for me lately. They are really spreading in his tank. Some of the ones he has given me are doing OK and some seem to struggle. I've reduced the amount of current in the tank recently. I also am experimenting with giving the mushrooms a little less light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts