The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this great looking mushroom leather coral from the LFS 8 weeks ago. The polyps were fully extended at the store but I have yet to see the coral open fully in my tank. I have experimented with lighting (photo period and intensity), placement, flow. Now I am stuck. It shed within the first week or so of being in its new home. It looks healthy as far as I can tell. Everybody else in the tank is doing fine. It is in a 14g nano cube so I don't really have much else in there to bother it (I think). Right now it is placed in the middle of the tank and seems to be doing better than it was when I had it at the bottom or a couple inches higher than it is now. I have been scouring the net for answers but haven't come up with anything beyond trial and error in regards to placement and water parameters. Any thoughts?

PS- I have been testing my water every other day for the last two weeks and nothing raises any red flags. I have a powerhead right above it but it is off (didn't make any difference).

Attachments

·
Banned
447 Posts
Your toad stool is from the Genus Sarcophyton, I believe. It is a very hardy coral and adapts well to various conditions in the tank. They do seem to consume a lot of nutrients from the water and will usually adapt well to many different water currents, they don't like direct hard currents. They usually will tolerate different light levels i the tank but do need time to adjust. The unfortunate part of the Genus is they do seem to grow very fast and can get very large in the home aquarium.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I currently dose the tank with phytoplankton biweekly and add trace elements with the weekly water change. I don't really target feed because I've read that the majority of the nutrition comes from the symbiotic algae. Do you suggest I start adding a food meant for filter feeding inverts?

My weekly water change is 50% because I know how fast a small tank can turn on you. Do you think I am wiping out the nutrients in the tank with each water change?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I moved the coral to the bottom of the tank and turned off the power head. It says it moves 240gph which seems pretty high for a 14g cube. The toadstool seems a little happier with less flow but still no major improvement in the polyp extrension dept. The only thing is that my torch and kenya tree love the flow...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts