The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi have just started my nano reef for the first time . It has cycled and have recently put 2 clownfish in . However i really want corals in the future and have read mushrooms are the easiest to keep, but i do not now how much light is needed. I have what my LFS say are Fish only lights but I'm looking for advice on wether i could keep any mushrooms in this light and if not is there any corals that could go in or any corals you recommend for beginners and finally wether there is any cheap lights that you recommend that would be able to sustain corals.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
can you provide some details to the light you have?
brand? type?

mushrooms are pretty easy to care for, even in low light they'll do OK. some will walk around in your tank if they want more or less light, until they find a spot that they like.

i think if you get a rhodactish mushroom, you should be fine, the first one i got was almost instantly bleached by my lights :) they don't need much. and they will happily eat food.

J.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks the lights are ones that came all in one with the tank, but you think i could keep mushrooms , and where could i find a rhodactish mushroom, many thanks

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
any info on the tank? so we can look up the specs of the light?

any store/vendor that sells mushrooms will have some rhodactis. they are one of the most common types. and come in various colors.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot, just one more question if i have mushroom corals in my tank is there any restrictions to any other types of coral that i can or can't put in. What i mean is can is there any corals that cannot be put in the same tank as mushrooms.
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you Alfie, I have my first tank running for about 3 months now. I don't want to steal your thread but was hoping someone could elaborate on lighting for mushrooms. My mushroom now is not bleached, but rather almost completely see through... there is barely any color at all to it. And my button polyp frags just look terrible. I'm using 6 eLive blue LED pods in a 10 gallon, about 1' deep.

·
Navy Frogman
107 Posts
I'm no expert on mushrooms, But if that's the only lights you are running you might want to get some more full spectrum lights. the coral needs more lights than just 420 nm. ebay has some cheaper options for just softies and minimal lps.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I'm no expert on mushrooms, But if that's the only lights you are running you might want to get some more full spectrum lights. the coral needs more lights than just 420 nm. ebay has some cheaper options for just softies and minimal lps.
yeah, it looks like that's a "freshwater" setup.
at the very least you want to replace the bulbs with a reef spectrum

50/50 10.000Kwhite and blue would be a safe choice.

J.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Okay, I also have two "color enhancing" that are half white/half red, I don't run them because I like the blue better, and I have another 2 or 3 pods pure white. I don't use them either because I thought there would be too much light and I would bleach them. But from what I'm reading you need a LOT of LED's anyway, so maybe that wouldn't even be enough? Any clarification/opinions on that?

Also, the polyps aren't really "stretching out" so I didn't think my light was an issue until I saw the mushroom... maybe they're dying :(

BTW... don't yell at me... I'm still using tap water, but will be changing to RO/DI this week.

EDIT: found this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-16-Dimm...-Reef-Tanks-/191692943929?hash=item2ca1ca3239

1 - 11 of 11 Posts