The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I’ve got a mushroom coral that went from gorgeous to sickly over a 24 hour period. I’ve had it for about a month now, I’ll give you the tank parameters first

-120 gallon mostly LPS corals
  • 2 36” two bulb t5 lights turn off after 8 hours
  • I only use RODI water
  • salinity was measured at 1.023 ( I am planning to slowly raise that to 1.026 over the next month or so)
-nitrates and phosphates are undetectable to my tests (my nitrate test is API and I can’t make out yellows very well)
  • ph 8.2
  • alkalinity 9.8 dkh
  • I feed fish daily I rotate a pinch of pellets or a cube of frozen
-I feed corals reefroids every other day lately but I was just doing that to see if I could raise nitrates to detectable levels
  • I have filter socks I change every three days a protein skimmer and chaeto in the sump
  • the only thing I’ve done differently is I started adding kalkwasser to my ato in hopes of raising my PH which it has it was always about 7.8-8 I only did less than a TSP per gallon of

I’m going to clean out the kalkwasser from the ATO for now but none of my other corals seem to have been affected( negatively that is, the rest look better then eve)so I’m not sure if that’s the culprit. Any ideas? Another thought I had, was last night I put in some dry seaweed for my fox face the seaweed is old and just because of this issue I tossed it in the trash just in case that was the problem.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,023 Posts
Did your Mushroom start acting poorly before the kalkwasser or after? And by chance was it being 'added' right at/near the Mushroom?
I keep our Mushrooms in the >0<5 ppm range of NO3......less they seem to not enjoy it....more, the rest of our Corals get finicky.
Hack

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I started the kalkwasser about two weeks ago, it was added through the ATO in the sump so it would have been fairly diluted before it got up to my display tank. Also the mushroom is near the front of the tank out of the way of my return jets. The mushroom was looking great up until yesterday the 8th. I’ve been beating my head against the wall trying to figure out what would upset this one coral and none of the others. I stopped the kalk and did my routine 5% water change. Hoping and praying she will look better today. This happens to be my favorite coral

I’m going to have to invest in a better NO3 test because I can’t make heads or tails of the different shades of yellow on that card from API.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update
I guess I was overreacting a bit because today it looks a lot better! not sure what it was that caused it but I’m glad it is looking better.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,023 Posts
Glad to hear of a happy ending for Ya. Is that a Florida Ricordea, or one of them new fancy 'Bubble' Mushrooms? Nice looking!
Hack

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to hear of a happy ending for Ya. Is that a Florida Ricordea, or one of them new fancy 'Bubble' Mushrooms? Nice looking!
Hack
Thanks, I’m not 100% sure, it was a compulsive purchase and the person selling it at my LFS was a new employee I asked him what it was but he had no idea, the owners were not in, I assumed it was a Ricordea Yuma because I’m located in Phoenix AZ and my LFS takes a weekly trip to California to get new livestock.I love that piece I hope to have it for many years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts