The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 6 different mushrooms in my tank from fuzzy to your common green mushroom. (not near each other or other coral) I have the reds up high and the green from mid to low. Running a T5-HO 8x54 on a 90gal i am just at 432w 4.8per gal.

My concern is when the lights come on the mushrooms are to lay out. Only my fuzzy one lay down nice the rest of them my reds, greens, blue and striped one only partically fan out and stay at attention(reaching). They have not multiplied but they look like they are doing fine asides them not laying down.

Now the same mushrooms that i have in my 12gal nanodx under PC 2x24w 48watt 4w per gal are doing perfect all layered out multiplying and everything. level on that tank i do not wish to report for i have not been a good father to that tank yet everything in that tank is beyond great.

levels on the 90gal
0-ammonia
0-nitrites
.05 nitrates down from a whopping 180
ph is 8.3
gravity 1.025
no other test have been done.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone have any ideas why my mushrooms are like this?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Are you saying they are laying down before the lights come on? If so, lots of corals go to "sleep" when the lights are off, not a mayor concern there.

how about water flow? mushrooms do not like a lot of direct flow but do require some flow.
is the nano older than the 90gal? can it be there is more nutrients in the nano than there are in the 90gal and they may not be getting enough food?
can any crabs be bothering the one in the 90gal?

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
~ 5 watts per gallon of T-5 should be plenty for mushrooms. I wouldn't worry. Do you have good flow? Maybe that is causing then not to lay flat????

If the are expanding during the day and closing at night and look good then you should be fine!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not sure what your saying they're doing but I know when I switched to T5's ( I have 6 54 watt HO on my 55 gal.) from PC's I had to move my shrooms lower in the tank or shaded. Especially reds and blues/purples.
T5's are pretty bright and alot of shrooms prefer lower to medium light.
My ricordea still like more light though.
It also depends on how high the light is above the tank and such.
Mine sits on top the tank.
I would try moving them lower though and see what happens.

kass

1 - 7 of 7 Posts