The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I finally got the pictures of the tank. I dont have a original picture of the tank befor i sanded and stained it to the color that i wanted but here they are over the weeks that i have been working on it.
:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and tell me what you guys think do i have to much rock? It's supposed to be for a FOWLR but i have a feeling that it will eventually turn into a reef but i know im going to be moving in the next year or two so i didnt want to go through the trouble of moving all of the corals.:doh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Looks great! The only issue I can see with the amount of rock is that it may inhibit good flow. Its best to set up the rock a open as possible. The more water can flow in and around every piece the better. Having a solid structure will drastically reduce the effectiveness of the flow. Consider lifting it off of the bottom also as this is a big potential issue all the heavy detritus will settle. Anything under the rock will create issues. Its best to be able to blow out under the rock and also to keep the rock from contacting any substrate you may have. Do a search here for rock lifts for ideas.
HTH

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks ill do a search on lifting the rock. I think your talking about the picture that i took when i was filling up the tank. Here is one of the tank when full. I dont really like that you can see the water level so i may add an additional peice to the canopy to cover it.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so i reseached the rock lifting idea. Looks good but since i am planing on moving it in the next year or so does any one see a problem with leaving the rock on the bottom and then using a 1/4-1/2 inch of live sand? Thanks oh and i plan on doing the rock lift after the move. Really liked the acrylic designs!:nuts:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so i reseached the rock lifting idea. Looks good but since i am planing on moving it in the next year or so does any one see a problem with leaving the rock on the bottom and then using a 1/4-1/2 inch of live sand? Thanks oh and i plan on doing the rock lift after the move. Really liked the acrylic designs! :nuts:

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
A lot can build up and create problems in a year. It wouldn't be m suggestion. Start off as best you can and you will have less problems in the long run. Flow is paramount in th health of any tank. In, under and around the rock. The rock "wall" look will create many dead spots and you will have problems. More flow in an around the rock will allow for the use of less rock also as it will be healthier.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so i put in the pair of clowns last week and I ended up lossing one. I replaced him a couple of days later and they have been swimming together for the past 4-5 days withouth any problems. Ill see if i can snap a pic later today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts