The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I was just at the LFS today and they had a "multi coloured urchin". I'm finding little to no information on him but he looks very similar to a tuxedo urchin but more brightly coloured (same coloured bands as a tuxedo). I do have a reef tank with small fish and inverts as well and need to know if he would be a good addition. Pros, cons or any advice would be appreciated!!

·
Bob
310 Posts
I believe they are reef safe in that they will not attack and eat coral BUT I have had several and found that they plunge ahead knocking down any loose rock. Several corals on small pieces of rock, epoxied to the larger rock, were dislodged. I personally would not recommend them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My tuxedo isn't too bad and they stay small compared to other urchins. I'm not sure about the multicolored urchin though. My tuxedo has pulled zoas that were super glued to a rock off to wear them. The other day he was carrying around a couple of helpless ceriths. Never knocked over any big rocks, he's probably about 2 inches in diameter right now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as the multicoloured urchin doesn't knock over any big rocks, I should be okay with him. I think I can deal with him picking up small coral's and snails

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't know if they're the same creature or not. Tuxedo urchins max out at 3", most other urchins max out at 8" or larger. I'd check with your LFS. I don't know if bigger urchins will knock over bigger rocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts