The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my mp10! Lovin it already. I know that most people usually mount theirs higher in the tank (just a few inches below surface). There are 2 versions of the manual online....I thought I had read the "full" version....but I hadn't. Then, after install, I was trying to fine tune and found a link to a more in depth manual. Anyways, in this full manual it says to put the pump "as high in the tank as possible without creating a vortex on the surface". All other mentions to tank placement only warned you not to get too close to sand or surface (in both quick start guide and the manual available on their site that is not the full one). But in the FULL manual it makes it sound like, no matter what, it should be as high in your tank as possible.

I learned all this too late as I had already, after much deliberation, placed it vertically centered on the side (little higher than center). My logic was that I wanted more water movement around and below the rocks. So I had placed it as low as I could without aiming it into a rock. I was kinda aiming a little above the face of all the rocks so water was rushing across the top of everything.

So now I'm second guessing my choice in placement thinking there may be a good reason you want it as high as possible, and maybe I'm actually getting less flow this way than the other way.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
You can belive or not but when it comes to vortech pump placement even 1" makes difference!! I have moved mine around 2" deeper into my tank and flow decreased in half !!! try to place yours around 5-6" under the water surface and You will see insane difference. 5-6" if you run it at 70% and lagoon mode like I do andything higher than 70% and it will create vortex.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can belive or not but when it comes to vortech pump placement even 1" makes difference!! I have moved mine around 2" deeper into my tank and flow decreased in half !!! try to place yours around 5-6" under the water surface and You will see insane difference. 5-6" if you run it at 70% and lagoon mode like I do andything higher than 70% and it will create vortex.
Thanks for info! Is there a specific reason why raising it will create more flow? Does it then hit the far side, flow down and around creating circular flow? Is that why raising it increases flow? It seems like the closer the main flow was to the rocks (without hitting them)the better flow around and under the rocks. But if higher is always better then in that case the way I have it would be less flow because it hits the middle of the other side and divides the flow up and down across the glass? Seems like that would be fine since the initial flow is going right above the rocks. Its pretty easy to move, so I may move it up, but my instincts say raising it will create less flow in and around my rockwork.

I would prefer to run it at 100% all the time (besides night mode). The more I read the more I realize the "more flow the better". As long as the corals can handle it, that is.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check out the picks. This will make it easier to understand. This is what Im talking about. I can kinda see why it might be better higher up because it would probably create one large circular flow (as illustrated). And maybe I lose a lot of flow because the main flow has no natural way to go and splits up and down the opposite wall?

Is this why I should move it up?

Now I'm leaning towards moving it....**** decisions kill me :)

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
i have mine slightly lower than the middle of the tank, on the opposite side i have another tunze pump which is pointed upwards...works great...

really nice tank btw -curtis

·
Registered
685 Posts
I can't tell you why it works the way it does as it's beyond me. I can only talk from my own personal experience here so:
I have corals (softies, LPS and SPS) everywhere in my tank including all corners on different hights. Right in the middle of my tank I've huuuuuuge anemone. I bought some new frags and I had to move some of my corals. One of them ended up way to close to my MP10 so I had to move it (2" lower and 2" toward the front glass) and flow simply dissapeard!!! Don't know why but it just did. I was playing with my vortech for a while to get the flow back and without moving that coral and I did noticed that I do get MUUUUUUUUCH better flow when MP10 is higher. When placed in the mid range I was unable to see any movements on my corals in far side corner of my tank. As soon as I moved my pump higher I've noticed that they are moving as they should. I only have a shallow tank but it's a 48" long one...
those little pumps are absolutely amazing!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have mine slightly lower than the middle of the tank, on the opposite side i have another tunze pump which is pointed upwards...works great...

really nice tank btw -curtis
Ah, good to know....and thanks! its a work in progress but its finally starting to look like a reef

I have a Mini Polario 7ml on the other side against the back wall (as you can see). It creates back n forth flow at 3 different speeds topping at like 1200 gph or so. Also left the old 700 gph PH on the side with the MP10. I just have it at the top in the back pointed toward the surface. Since the MP10 is low it doesnt agitate the surface. So this one does now. Might keep it there, might not if I end up moving the mp10 up I guess

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually you can't really see the Palario in this pic because my Sargassum is out of control waving around

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't tell you why it works the way it does as it's beyond me. I can only talk from my own personal experience here so:
I have corals (softies, LPS and SPS) everywhere in my tank including all corners on different hights. Right in the middle of my tank I've huuuuuuge anemone. I bought some new frags and I had to move some of my corals. One of them ended up way to close to my MP10 so I had to move it (2" lower and 2" toward the front glass) and flow simply dissapeard!!! Don't know why but it just did. I was playing with my vortech for a while to get the flow back and without moving that coral and I did noticed that I do get MUUUUUUUUCH better flow when MP10 is higher. When placed in the mid range I was unable to see any movements on my corals in far side corner of my tank. As soon as I moved my pump higher I've noticed that they are moving as they should. I only have a shallow tank but it's a 48" long one...
those little pumps are absolutely amazing!!!
Great info!

Interesting. That would support the theory of creating one main flow/stream and moving it up. I'm gonna try it and see what the flow looks like

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im not seeing a huge difference on coral movement or anything with it higher. I'm thinking I should move it back where I originally had it.

Any other thoughts?

Another factor is future coral placement.....higher is better for that....otherwise the middle strip of the tank would just be blasted all the time. Maybe thats the factor I wasnt thinking of. Ppl automatically put them as high as possible to have as much room for coral as possible. You cant really have it lower without aiming directly at corals.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm essentially talking to myself at this point lol

But in case anyone was curious I found the definitive answer, at least for my tank. Higher is better. I had the wrong setting on when I was unable to tell the difference.

I cranked it up and a whole new level of flow! It does create a powerful circulation that kicked up a bunch of detritus, etc. Im glad I moved it cause there is significantly more movement everywhere. I might even have to turn it down now....:(

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
We need video! And you're making me want this pump. I haven't heard of it. Can you give the full name and manufacturer?

·
Registered
685 Posts
We need video! And you're making me want this pump. I haven't heard of it. Can you give the full name and manufacturer?
You never heard about the greatest wavemaker ever made??!!! It's a vortech MP10 but they have bigger ones MP40 & MP60.
On the box it says Vortech but we call it miracle lol
just go onto their website and check out the modes, settings and power of that thing. get it and your corals will love You for it !!!
Best thing about it is that most of the pump is outside of the tank so it doesn't heat up Your water and it takes barely any space inside of the tank.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm essentially talking to myself at this point lol

But in case anyone was curious I found the definitive answer, at least for my tank. Higher is better. I had the wrong setting on when I was unable to tell the difference.

I cranked it up and a whole new level of flow! It does create a powerful circulation that kicked up a bunch of detritus, etc. Im glad I moved it cause there is significantly more movement everywhere. I might even have to turn it down now....:(
Set it to lagoon mode at 70% as I did. great flow and no noise at all.
Lagoon mode - set to yellow with first button and then push middle one so 3rd & 4th scale LEDs are ON.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Ive been absent from the hobby for several years ;) Thanks for the info. Right now I just have a fish only tank but perhaps I will start one up for corals as soon as I get this one dialed in...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know, that would be the way to really show. I can't get videos to work on this site tho

What? Its all everyone talks about lol. Vortech is the company. I went through and calibrated everything yesterday. What an awesome piece of equipment. Adjusted feed time down to 5min and the pump turns all the way down....adjusted night mode to 12hrs and left at default of 50% of day strength. I also love the fact that at any point I can just manually crank the thing up and down

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know, that would be the way to really show. I can't get videos to work on this site tho

What? Its all everyone talks about lol. Vortech is the company. I went through and calibrated everything yesterday. What an awesome piece of equipment. Adjusted feed time down to 5min and the pump turns all the way down....adjusted night mode to 12hrs and left at default of 50% of day strength. I also love the fact that at any point I can just manually crank the thing up and down
Actually the company is Ecotech Marine....pump is Vortech

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Set it to lagoon mode at 70% as I did. great flow and no noise at all.
Lagoon mode - set to yellow with first button and then push middle one so 3rd & 4th scale LEDs are ON.
Thanks, I think I will try that. My torches aren't very happy with me right now :)

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Behind the times, I am, I know. I still have my old Maxijets from 2003, I've just never replaced them :) I'm sure I will have to go all high tech when these die. Or maybe sooner... ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts