The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had some advice about moving a 55 gallon tank. With 70 pounds LR and 50 pounds LS. The problem is I'm moving to a different state. From Omaha Ne, to Tacoma Wa. I want to keep my LR and if possible my LS. I'm driving there in Sep. So I was wondering if there is any way to do this without kill most of my rock and sand. It will be about 5 to 6 days on the road. Please help...:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I can only think of two ways. First would be to have all of your liverock in a rubbermaid container with tank water. Keep a PH running in it. Get to your destination, have tank ready and get someone who loves you to overnight it.

Next. They make a device that plugs into your car lighter. You can then plug just about any household item into it....ie PH,heater....I saw them in the electronics section at KMart...diff.sizes(#of outlets) $50-$100. I guess you could try taking it with you?

Thats all Ive got. Sorry. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I would leave the rock with someone in Omaha in a rubbermaid or large trash can (the gray Brute ones are food safe...no chemicals in them). Leave a powerhead in there and as much water as possible. Then have them box up the rock and fedex it to you...packed in wet newspaper and maybe a trash bag or two around it all. I think if you kept it in the same water for 5-6 days without good circulation it would get pretty icky and you would have some die-off. You could also just keep a portion of your live sand to reseed the tank. What are you doing with corals and fish?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.