The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I don't do much these days except work, school, and the reef. I haven't touched my computer in months, but I need some advice! We have to move, and I have a 110 gallon tank that is going to be a PITA to move to say the least. I should have posted some pics before, but I wanted it to look real nice before I did that, and that also requires time, which I am in short supply of. I have moved a couple of 75 gallon tanks a couple of times, but never anything this big. I have everything planned out except for one thing. There is around 200 pounds of sand in the tank, about 5 inches, if I drain the water down to the sand level, can I move the tank with the sand in it, or is this not possible/advisable? the dimensions of the tank are 48x18x30. Thanks for any adivce!:D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
a tank can be somewhat easily moved, with the sand still intact. it's goign to be HEAVY considering the tanks weight, plus the 200 pounds of sand weight. plus the sand will be wet as well.

the best/easiest/only safe way to do it, imo, is to slide the tank, ever so carefully onto a sheet of 3/4" or thicker plywood.

on a tank that size, i honestly would use a 2x4 frame 48x18 and then top that with 3/4" plywood. that way it's ultra secure, level, stable, etc...

imo it's gonna take 4-6 people to lift it with any stability. one at each corner. but, it can be done.

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stability was what I had issues with, but if it is at all possible, I will do whatever it takes to move it with the sand. I knew it would take at least 4-6 people, but I hadn't thought of the plywood idea, thanks for that!! It is going to be a crappy experience no matter what though.:(

·
Registered
168 Posts
I jusyt moved a 120 and it took three pretty big people to move it without difficulty. Just my opinion but I don't think you are going to move your tank like you want unless you have some serious help at both ends even then you run in to the problem of there is only so many people that can help you move through a door way and that is what will get you when you move something as heavy as that

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Demogarr dont do it with the sand buddy, not only could you screw up the tank, bud that sand bed comsumes alot of oxygen, It will suck it up before you get it out the door. Just scope the top 2 inches and put it in a buck with some SW, then rince the rest. Reset it up the same way.

good luck moving sucks

Mike

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
skateboards!!!

build a 2x4 frame. using 2 long runners. 2 ends, and two additional supports inside.

then top with 2/4" plywood. then lay that puppe on some skatboards!! i jsut watched some guys move a 30' sailboat on 2 skatboards :) this would help wit hthe problem of getting through doors.

or you could use a garage/mechanics "creeper"

my stand that i've been building is still i nthe garage, but i have it sitting on these metal brackets with very small wheels in them that are made for moving refrigerators/furniture. it makes moving the stand around very easy. but the wheels are only about 1 1/2" so they woulnt be ideal on carpet or especially goign over a doorway hump.

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so mojoreef, you are saying that if I keep the sand in, it will consume all oxygen, and everything I am trying to save in the sandbed will die anyway? So I should take the top 2 inches and I will at least save some of the critters instead of losing it all? Am I on track here? Obviously removing the sandbed will destroy all anaerobic areas in the bed, and it will have to start over as far as that is concerned. For my peace of mind I might as well take the sand out. If I do as you suggest, what kind of recycle will I be looking at, even though the tank is only 2 or 3 months old, I have livestock now that I don't want to lose.
Any thoughts?
The wheels idea sounds good, but I don't think I can make it work in my situation.
Thanks
Alan

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^
How much of a cycle would you all expect from the move, I would hate to lose everything?

·
Registered
418 Posts
you should get nothing more than a mini cycle if you do as mike suggested. You will need to rinse the lower sand really well, but it should be OK. Your cycle will be even less if you can keep the rocks in water. Your cycle could happen in less than a day before the rocks process out the amonia.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts