The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to move my wetdry but I need to remove the hoses from the bottom of the drilled tank. Has anyone taken a 500gph sub pump and dropped it in the overflow chamber, make sure the down flow and upflow cannot syphin any water back and turn the pump on. this should keep the through back chamber really low with water pushing it back out to the tank. Remove the hoses and hope for no power outages or better yet put the pump on a ups. move the wet dry and then reconnect the hoses.

Anyone done this???

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i think you are trying to hard. :D

if you think that it will take you less than 24hrs to do the move i would just do this. if you have a CLS than i would just plug the turn off the pump. plug the drain from inside the overflow. than disconnect the wet/dry for the move. if you do not have a CLS than i would just add another PH for the flow. i would turn the lights off so that you do not heat the tank while doing this. having the lights off for 24 hours would not be a big deal, the corals will not be bothered.

G~

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I concur with Geoff - just do it, it won't take that long. Have your game plan set and have some spare parts in case you need them (bulkheads, hose, plastic clamps etc. whatever you are using to keep it all together)

When you shut the system down, aim your returns up out of the water so they don't siphon accidentally - just remember to reposition them before you fire the system back up again.

It's a simple operation - should only take a few minutes to do.

You can use a shop vac to remove the water from the sump before you move it -- have some new saltwater ready to top off the system when you are finished.

Jenn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts