The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am again moving to a new, bigger tank.. A couple of questions I am certainly unsure of and would like everyone's opinions. So first of all, sand from my old tank, put a little in my new tank to seed or leave it and start fresh. Also water, would you suggest putting any water from my old tank into the new one? Obviously live rock will be transferred over as the cycle goes on and then probably my hermit crab and clown fish first. Just really not sure on general do's and don'ts when upgrading and would appreciate your help!

Cheers,
Josh

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i suggest never moving sand from one tank to another. the substrate is a phosphate binder, why move phosphates from an old system to another. just start with new, that is if you must have a substrate anyway.

i would only move as much water from the old tank as you can get without any kind of detritus being stirred up into it. if you are able to get half, then you are doing very well. again the less nutrients transferred the better.

as for the LR. save a bucket of old SW to swish the LR in as it goes form the old to the new tank to make sure you get all of the detritus off before putting it into the new tank.

if the old tank is well matured and the transfer is done smartly, there is no reason why you could not do this all at once. the bioloads match. problems occur when people start adding new LR. the more variables the more likely there will be problems. i have done this many, many, many, times over the years. mainly as a tank move, but also as an upgrade.

G~

1 - 2 of 2 Posts