The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going from a 45 gal to a 120. I am also doing this while I move so the 120 is set up in the destination city 2hours away. I am worried about cycling the 120. Will I be safe if I move as much water from the 45 and all the rock, but not the substrate because I am changing from argonite to southdown sand. I tried to take a big scoop of the argonite and place it under the sand in the back of the 120 in hopes that when I move the rest of the critters in 10 days some of the bacteria will have spread to the sand. I also siphoned the detritus from the substrate and put about 10 gal of that water into the 120 to feed the bacteria. Any help or ideas about moving into a much bigger tank would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts
yes, make sure that you rinse you southdown sand clean before you add the water ;). i hope everything goes well too!
:cool:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Cromagnum said:
yes, make sure that you rinse you southdown sand clean before you add the water
too late ;)

the only thing i can think of is that it's possible the milksahke might not be done in 10 days.

you MAY be better off putting it all back into the 45 after the move and waiting to move into the 120 until is ready, and done cycling. i'm jsut thinking this might safe some possible lost life by rushing the tank.

just my opinion though.

good luck!! let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
putting some of the aragonite in bags then placing them into the new tank works well. use the legs out of some hose. you can tie off the other end. this keeps the aragonite from mixing with the new sand yet allows the critters to start colonizing the new stuff.

G~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts