The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week i bought a biggish piece of LR with 12 green,what the LFS said were mushroom nems,covering it.They were spaced all over the top surface and are supposed to be able to synthesis food from light but i was told to also feed them with bits of shrimp or some other meaty food once a week.
They grab the food,eat it, and seem to be doing great.Problem is they've all been moving around on the rock.
Now they are all congregated around the edges and some have gone underneath leaving most of the top surface with nothing on it.
What's going on?
Why do they move away from the light if they need it to synthesis food?
They are at the top of the tank under T5s.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd love to see pictures of these... I'd say they aren't mushrooms if they are moving but anemonies... But I could be wrong, I'm far from expert...

Babs

·
Registered
679 Posts
If they are mushroom anenomes then they will not enjoy that bright light. With out a picture its hard to cornfirm the species, but I would put them at the bottom of the tank.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I have never seen a shroom eat and I have about 50-60 of them all different kinds. PICS PICS PICS! could be a pest and you will want to get them out ASAP!!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
You can feed shrooms. I feed my ricordia every so often. IMO they do fine just with light so most don't bother, but a pic would be great.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have never seen a shroom eat and I have about 50-60 of them all different kinds.
You are missing out on a great view! My wife and I both have green hairy shrooms that are huge and they will curl up into a ball when you place food on them just like an anemone would.

Truth be told, Mushrooms are actually closely related to anemones.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I think we are hijacking this thread, but my hairy shroms reject anithing I try to give them Mysis, krill silversides. I will try again I would like to see it.

anyway Back to nemmys problem. PICs would definatly help. Mine don't move around they just spread out when they split. I have mine under 384w PC from the bottom of the tank to the top. T5s are not that intense (like MH) not sure why they are moving. I don't think there mushrooms IMO.

Are they solid green? or spotted or striped? I have a few fuzzy green mushrooms but they are more white with a green tint.

I have seen green mojanos before and they definatly don't like bright light!

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
New 16g BioCube Gen 3, April 2021... back at the habit!
445 Posts
Just fyi, you can have very successful mushrooms and not feed them anything - I never have fed mine (or see them eat) and they're spreading like mad!
My mushrooms moved a little but it was very gradually... in my experience they will move when they are unhappy in their current location, but otherwise if they're fine where they are, they have no reason to move.
Pics?................

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what they look like.My camera has washed out the colour and they are bright green.If something touches the ring of tenticles it's grabbed and pushed into the central mouth.Mysis seem to be a favorite.
They were all over the top of the rock but they move about especially at night.The guy in the LFS said they benifit from feeding once a week but don't need to be fed at all as they will synthesis.He said they are mushroom nems.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Those do look like any mushrooms I've seen. Anyway, if they seem to be trying to get away from the light then I'd move them down a little.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
This is what they look like.My camera has washed out the colour and they are bright green.If something touches the ring of tenticles it's grabbed and pushed into the central mouth.Mysis seem to be a favorite.
They were all over the top of the rock but they move about especially at night.The guy in the LFS said they benifit from feeding once a week but don't need to be fed at all as they will synthesis.He said they are mushroom nems.
What is a mushroom "nem"?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Elephant ear mushrooms will even eat live fish.

Lost a damsel to one (saved me the trouble of getting it out of the tank) couldn't figure out why it was all curled up for so long. Then realized, the yellow tail damsel was MIA.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Lost a damsel to one (saved me the trouble of getting it out of the tank) couldn't figure out why it was all curled up for so long. Then realized, the yellow tail damsel was MIA.
Funny I've thought about adding one for the same reason.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is a mushroom "nem"?
In the UK it's a critter with a cap and a stem that's not a zoa.:thumbup:
These are some other mushies i bought that have multiplied.

Out of curiousity, Is this the same LFS guy that told you your GSP was encrusting green xenia with purple mat??
Nope.The base of my encrusting xenia is pink.I've since seen it both on ebay uk and in other people's tanks.The growth habit is different than GSP.It grows in long ribbons.

·
11,345 Posts
Nope.The base of my encrusting xenia is pink.I've since seen it both on ebay uk and in other people's tanks.The growth habit is different than GSP.It grows in long ribbons.

you never did post a better picture of your encrusting green xenia with pink mat and retractable polyps.

I would like to see a better pic and learn more about it. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just for you.:thumbup:

Nightime.
This is a frag of ribbon i cut off with a scissors as it was reaching from one rock to another,and before it attached.

Daytime with green polyps extended from the ribbon.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by nemmy

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I have seen a few people on ebay and other place list encrusting Anthellia as encrusting xenia's and they do look very similar and are also called glove polyps, but I have not seen in any listings on actual coral sites anything about real encrusting xenia's, I collect xenia's and polyps and would be very interested in seeing a good closup of what you call encrusting xenia's, all of your pics are far away and blurry need a macro of it clear to get a good look at it.. would be willing to bet you have either gsp or glove polyps "anthelia" though...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts