The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am moving back in with my dad around the 15th March. I have brought my self a new (well second hand) tank. My dad has been busy away plumbing the ro unit half way round the house! Dont ask, he just likes to go over board! But this means I think i may be very close to being able to filling up the tank and ordering new rock.

Tank is 66galons (1m x 50cm x 50cm) I was planning on buying maybe 5-10kg of live rock and 20-30kg of dry rock. My current bio load (in old 30gal) is 2 clowns, 2 damsels, cleaner shrimp, 2 red hermits and a snail. Old tank has 5-10kg of live rock in, and i plan on addidng more snails and crabs to new tank before moving current critters.

With time running out how would be the best way to get new tank ready for my fish to come across safely. As it is i have 14 days and would rather not use addidtives. I was thinking of adding a prawn and heating tank to 85f. would this help speed up cycle? would it be worth moving some of my current rock into new tank with some water as well?

Thanks guys,

Want to make sure I get this right!

· My reef tanks my wallet.
925 Posts
I have no experience with this and I'm sure you will get an answer from someone more knowledgable. I would use ALL your current water & rock. Then when you fill up the new tank it's just like a 50% water change. I would also only add dry rock to minimize any cycle. I would not try to cycle the tank that quickly with new live rock.

· Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
That is tough... I do not think I can give you the answer you want. Higher temps will speed up bacterial activity but they will not guarantee a faster cycle. I would suggest using Dr.Tims or Instant Oceans bio-spira additives. I have seen both work in the two week period if they are not overdosed.

I agree about using the established rock. That rocks should be able to handle a lot for as long as it is mostly undisturbed and fully cycled.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I will get some of the additives mentioned. As for using my current rock & water, I have 5 gals ready or a water change. I will keep the 5 gallons I take out and move it along with one of my rocks to the new tank for now. As for using all the water I assume that would mean moving my fish at the same time? The problem with that is my dads house is a bit of distance away. How about I leave 20% water and the smallest rock with fish etc in old tank to give new tank a few days to settle in then start slowly adding new water to new tank. Or do you think it would be best that when new tank has stabilised I just move fish water and rock across. Then slowly top up tank with new asw? I really don't want to get this wrong and loose my fish and I don't know any other salt water people around me!

925 Posts
How far is the drive? If I were you, I would treat this is a move and not setting up a new tank. Do you have sand? It so, you will probably want new sand as scooping up the old sand would probably churn up some nasty stuff.

If you treat this as a move, you could fill up the new tank with 10gallons of new saltwater, 10g of your old saltwater, new sand, most of your current rock. Then when you do the final move you could move all your water, rock and critters in one move when you actually move.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not a far drive 15mins! But I only have containers to carry about 10gal of water at a time and I don't drive, will just have to speak to someone nicely! I like your idea though, when I empty 5 gals for my water change in next couple of days I will keep that water and put another 5 gals into my mixing bucket along with as much rock as will fit and move that over. Then start mixing up new water to add 10 gals, test a couple of days later, then take another 10 gals of old water, add new, test. Then if all is good I'll move fish.

Do you think that 4 fish (all still youn and small) will be alright in low water volume for a few days?

And no sand, I'm BB.

925 Posts
You don't need low water volumes. Just do a couple water changes between now and the move. Each time you do a water change, move the old water to the new tank at your Dads. So the day of your move the new tank should be half full with most of your live rock. Your old tank should but 100% full just like normal. Then when you move, move all 30g of your old tank water, and your fish, to the new tank in one move. Everything should be good to go.

You can get a large sterilite bin ($10) from Target to move your water and then use a 5 gallon bucket to move the fish.

· Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah right I get you! Wish i hadn't moved my ro unit now!! Lol!! Sounds like a good plan though. I'm hoping to get over there tonight with first bit of water, may bring ro unit back then do 5 gal changes every few days. I like in the uk and when I brought my 5gal bucket it was a lot more than $10! Everything over here costs many times more!!
Fish in a bucket, I like that idea! My LFS are not very helpful, wouldn't even give me some extra shells or hermits when I spent a lot d money in there! Would even sell them to me so they definatly won't give me any bags!! Lol

Thanks for your help I think I now have a plan on what I'm doing!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.