The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Derasa Clam that needs moving and I'm not sure how to go about it. It has attached to a piece of rock that I feel the clam is beginning to outgrow and I would like to bring it down to the sand bed. I have two 175W 10K's and vho actinincs on a 120g so I hope that putting it on the sand bed isn't a problem.

here is a pic of what I'm talking about...

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I would move the rock down to the sand bed. The clam will let go of the rock before long. I'd have for it to fall from there and get injured. Once it lets go, just keep it in the sand, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the issue is I cant move the rock to the sand or break it apart. The rock it attached to is really big and part of one of my main structures. Is there a way to entice it/force it to let go?

The clam all the way to the hammer coral on the left is part of the same rock.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I wouldn't attempt to move it at this point. I'd clear the sand under it so it has a soft spot to land. IMHO, derasa clams should always be placed in the sand to begin with.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I've heard about cutting byssal threads (i think thats what they are called)... does anybody have any experience with that?
Yes you can. You can also damage and kill the clam in the process. I guess it's a judgement call. If you really really really need the clam moved, then go for it. Personally, the clam looks healthy and I see no need to move it right away. It's not my tank though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I am also tagging along on this one. I bought a really small, brilliant blue Maxima clam last Friday. I set it on a piece of live rock mid-level in the tank. This morning, I turned on the lights and it moved itself all the way to the top of the live rock in my tank. Unbelievable.

I think where you have the clam looks good, but as "Elegance Coral" noted, it's your tank.

I too read somewhere you can cut the sinew that is holding it to the rock, but it sounds pretty dicey. Let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I've finally decided to move the clam. I got a sharp x-acto knife and cut the threads as close to the rock as possible. I blasted the threads first with a turkey baster to loosen as many as I could by just making the clam unhappy and cut the rest. 2 months later and the clam is as happy as can be. Hope this helps anybody thinking of doing the same thing.

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
sorry, i missed this thread when it first came up. as long as you are cutting the byssal threads you are fine when moving a clam. sometimes a clam will have its food out and that is big no-no to cut. you can tell the difference. one is fleshy the other are fibers. if the clam's foot is out, wedging another piece of LR under the clam to add pressure to the shell will convince the clam to withdraw its foot making it easier to move.

G~

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.