The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my tank has produced baby Margarita and Banded Trochus snails.. But so far that's it.. Until today.. I noticed my Banggai doing what appeared to be "hiccuping" after the lights went out tonight.. On closer inspection they were eating.. As were the Chalk bass, and the Chromis.. But feeding on what?

Well here is the answer...

I only have two live crustaceans in my tank.. A Hawaiian reef lobster and a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp.

I'm guessing these babies are from the latter..

But how does a shrimp produce offspring without any others in the tank.. I have no idea how shrimp reproduction works but my shrimp has been alone for 6 months or so.. Guess he/she got bored and wanted company.

We'll see if I can raise a few.. :bln-zoinks: There are hundreds of them.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
How bizarre. Do you suppose the lobster and the shrimp got together? If so, that would be the yummiest hybrid on the whole planet earth.

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They might have some luck with me though.. They need to be fed many many times a day and often they die due to starvation.. But.. Luckily for them I have a BBS doser that I can hook up to my Killifish raising container.. This COULD work..

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Shrimsters or Lobmps?
You could make stuffed scallions. Stand them up in a lemon-dill yoghurt sauce.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
So I'm fascinated. A quick google search and some quicker scanning suggests they are simultaneous hermaphrodites but cannot self-fertilize. They can, however, store sperm in their bodies, so maybe your shrimp got lucky at the LFS.

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
wow! that's awesome! I guess this is a good reason to keep my 10 gal wet as I have been running it empty thinking I might try dwarf seahorses, baby shrimp would be cool too!

I keep seeing my ghost shrimp in my FW tank berried but never see any little ones hatch... should probably start moving them to my QT tank to try and get some hatchlings to survive out of them...

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My chalk bass are simultaneous hermaphrodites too and I really want them to breed!.. But holy moley... That shrimp has been storing sperm since at the middle of October last year when I got it!... :eek: It was half the size it is now, back then.. I never noticed anything unusual.. It hid it's pregnancy really well.. Didn't even act unusual or out of the ordinary... Sneaky shrimp..

I started the BBS hatching last night so we'll see where this goes..

Also CarlJ.. I would go with Shrimpsters.. :drool:

·
Shark...fish are friends
5,096 Posts
I'll buy some survivors if you have some that make it! They want like $25 a piece for cleaner shrimp at my LFS... I'm thinking buy in bulk and save! =) I have one in my tank now and it is really shy by itself, I added some peppermint shrimp and they never come out where I can see them either...

·
Salt Viking
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mine isn't shy at all.. It's out all the time, has no fear of anything. Hangs on the Koralia pumps walks around in the front of the tank. You name it and it probably does it. It is huge now too.. It's whiskers/antennae must be 8+ inches tip to tip.

I took the picture with my regular 14-42mm lens.. The pic is just really cropped down. That's probably 1/12th of the original picture. The little guys are about 0.10 inches long.

If I manage to raise them i'll sell them. I only need one and mine kicks butt. Then again, maybe i'll keep one.. Who knows.. I'm not counting my omelets before the hatch chickens though..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts