The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Ive switched to my 26 gallon tank, and upgraded the lights, Ive seem to be having some temperature problems. First off, my flower pots, brown mushrooms, white/green/rainbow mushrooms, little brownish polyps, xenias, and dying torch all seem to like any water temp above 77 degrees, with good flow and light. Unfortunately, my leather ( I believe its a devils hand) seems to be happy when my temperature gets to about 82 or so.

Then there is the problem that my water gets 82 degrees just by the lights, with the water heater off! I dont have legs on my JBJ right now, its just sitting on top of my acryllic tank, which Im sure keeps some heat in. I was thinking about moving my light up, by buying some legs for it. But if I buy legs for it, Im taking away some of the light that I paid for, right?

I need to find the right balance between everything, to keep them all happy. Or maybe I have a bad combination of corals, and there is no median between everyone.:lol:

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
are you running carbon inthe tank too? sometimes you will have a bit of chemical warefare between soft corals.
does the light cover the whole surface of the tank? try just taking a wood strip and placing under the edge of the light for now and see how the temp is effected.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
If you have a glass lid take it off and get those lights up(just a couple inches!) put a fan across your sump.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My light sits on the tank also and I use some pieces of foam (it was packing that came with the light and comes in handy) to raise it about an inch or so in the front and run a fan blowing on it.
That should really help.
I also use a bigger piece of foam on each side to raise it up to get into it.
Works great!

kass

1 - 4 of 4 Posts