The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blood (red) cleaner shrimp that has always done well in my 56 gal reef and fish tank...the fish enjoy the shrimp's services, and the shrimp seems happy. The tank only has softies, mushrooms and polyps. There is a mandarin fish, and various algae critters.

Do you think I should add another shrimp?

If so, what kind?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I think the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) would be a great addition to your tank! :)

The Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is also known as the Indo-Pacific White-Banded Cleaner Shrimp, Indo-Pacific White-Striped Cleaner Shrimp, and Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great...thanks. You mention a scarlet cleaner shrimp...is mine not a scarlet?...LFS told me it is a blood cleaner. It is almost entirely red, with I think a few white dots.

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
I had a pair of each kind in my tank for a while...I'm down to one fire shrimp now, but plan on adding another pair of skunk cleaners. The two pair got along fine.

J.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will a blood shrimp and a skunk (which I guess is also known commonly as the cleaner shrimp, although my blood also acts as a cleaner), get along?

I had heard the blood might kill the skunk...in which case, maybe better off getting another blood.

I think I read on another post that coral banded shrimp are out because not reef safe.

·
Registered
585 Posts
my 90 gallon has 2 skunk cleaners and 1 fire (blood) shirmp. They do just great together. I also have a coral banded shrimp and there has not been any problems with him. Coral Banded's are reef safe, they tend to get a little aggressive with age towards fish...they wanna eat 'em...

·
Maltese Reefer
490 Posts
I have a coral banded, hasn't bothered a thing, though I have had them get agressive towards fish before, even a purple tang and a maroon clown, but only after it grew quite large!!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts