The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you read this board everyday...you may remember my post about me having ZERO experience with Shrooms...

this past Saturday I was given some CUT blue shrooms and some green-striped shrooms by a local reefer club member. the consensus was to break-up some rock-rubble and throw the CUT shrooms and the rock into a glass container.

saturday I put the cut shrooms, the rubble all in a GLASS VASE (8inches tall - 4inches diameter -clear glass) and placed in the back of the tank.

as of tuesday.....

...the greenstriped shrooms look to have DECAYED ... they were cut pieces and didn't have any stems or mouths anyway ... I thought having cut pieces looked strange to me but everyone said it would work.

1) is this decaying normal -or- are the green ones GONERS?????
2) should I pull the blue ones or just leave everything alone???

WHAT WOULD YOU DO (SEEING WHAT YOU ARE SEEING)?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
seems like your getting a bit of algae in there, maybe directing a little flow over the top would help, just enough to put a little current in there, but not enough to blow the shrooms out. as for the green one, has it shrunken alot since you put it in there? or is it still the same size, if your worried, you can pull some of the rubble, and put it in another bowl and keep the blues where they are. but it shouldnt hurt them much.

·
11,345 Posts
They need to be in a glass bowl that allows for flow to get in but not so much that they blow away. Take them out ASAP and change containers.
They have no oxygen and the ph is SUPER low right now in that vase. The reason they look like they are decaying is becasue they ARE.
They will be fine, but need action taken asap

Also, take the vase out and dump the water out, not a huge deal but you really dont want it in your tank. Its no different than having your closed loop pipes not running for a while......bacteria in the water dies and the water is NASTY

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Or you can try putting netting over them. That way they still get good flow but unable to move. I agree get em out of the vase.

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay... stupid me has removed the vase and everything is now in a plastic soup bowl.

I had to move the bowl around and find a spot in teh tank where the shrooms would lay down and not float out of the bowl. the bowl is like 2in deep.

ANY IDEA HOW LONG THESE GREEN CUT PIECES WILL TAKE TO FORM A FULL SHROOM?

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Okay... stupid me
now now, you're learning! We all started knowing nothing about this hobby, you'll get it, and we'll help! :agree:

I am still leary of just slicing chunks off of shrooms. When I got my red shroom my reef club member took a scissors and simply cut the full top off of the stem of the shroom. He said that in a few days the top would attach and the stem would grow a new top. I really like that method and it's what I will do if and when I need to divide. Just thought I'd share that. Oh, and that top he gave me did attach within a week and it looks great!

You'll have many shrooms very soon! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts