The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

colander rock (aka spaghetti strainer).
We have all used numerous colander. But the ones at Walmart rock. They fit exactly in a 5 gallon bucket.
This is great for water changes. But even better is if you combine it with a uniseal and filter cloth you have a quick filter that you can clean the tank out with and guide the water back into the sump.
:banana:

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
HFG said:

colander rock (aka spaghetti strainer).
We have all used numerous colander. But the ones at Walmart rock. They fit exactly in a 5 gallon bucket.
This is great for water changes. But even better is if you combine it with a uniseal and filter cloth you have a quick filter that you can clean the tank out with and guide the water back into the sump.
:banana:
So are you syphoning from your tank into the bucket and straining out the detritus? And then the clean water goes back into the sump? Sounds like a good idea for more frequent cleaning if you mix it in between water changes.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, right now I just put the equipment in the sump.
Sometimes I fit the colander in the bucket though if I need to...clean snails, or clean out a tank and not want large rubble to get into the sink.

Some of the sumps don't fit the colander so well, so the bucket is a nice "stand".

Also if you are cleaning lots of dirt out the filter cloth can get clogged in places, shifting where the water comes out. This will never be an issue if it has to pass through the bucket first.

IO bucket + Wally world colander = match made in... Heaven? Well, some place extraordinary any how, LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts