The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up my 75 gal reef tank. I have a 20gal sump. The sump is divided into 3 parts (I'll try my best to explain this). The overflow comes down into one compartment. It then overflows into another small compartment. The water flows from the bottom of this compartment into the last. My skimmer and return pump are in this last compartment. If this makes no sense I'll try to post a pic. I currently have bio-balls in the small center compartment but I'm gathering that those are a no-no for a reef tank. Would it be beneficial to take the bio-balls out and put some live rock in that part of the sump?? Also, I'm pretty clueless about the refugiums. Is there any way that I could use this small area for any type of a refugium?? Thanks again for everyone's help!!! :confused:

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
That small section in the tank is what is referred to as the baffle area... The purpose is to give the water a chance to have the microbubbles float to the top of the water, and have the water without bubbles flow under another retaining wall...

Generally a refugium has a very slow flowthrough.. This allows the macroalgaes a chance to rid the water of some problem organics and nutrients...

Yes, the bio-balls are a no no in a reef tank.. They are nitrate factories... Unless the rock will be completely submersed in water in the baffle area, I wouldn't do it. LR would be better suited in either the first, or last section or wherever it will be completely submerged...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts