The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here's the 2nd question.....

I have the 75 gal......with 110lbs live rock....
I have 2 55wtt blue actinic bulbs & 2 55wtt 10000 k daylight bulbs
should I get another power compact, it does have room, the one that I have now only takes up half the room...
If it help I do want to keep corals suck as clams and things like that, right now I also have a yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 damnsel
& 1 sally lightfoot ....what to do?

·
Registered
119 Posts
you arnt really going to get enough lighting with PC lighting for Clams... some corals yes but clams need VERY intense light... (as I read in another post "Think Street Lighting Bright for Clams")

If your goal is to have a clam I would put AT LEAST 2 MH in there at I would think 175 wt a piece....

PC lighting is a great accent to MH but doest have the intense lights that some corals and clams need

(to all you clam owners and coral owners is that pretty good for a guy that only has a FOWLR tank? (think I listen pretty well))

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I don't totally agree with Buehlz. There are other factors to consider, watts per gallon aren't sufficient guide lines. Depth of tank also makes a big difference, both physical depth and the depth of the water. I have a 55 with a 5"-6" substrate (due to a plenum under the SB). My water depth is only 12"-13". While I do now have MH lights, I previously had 560W PC lighting and everything did just fine under the PC's, including my clams.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
:) Hmmmm
Keep in mind we are talking about particularly light-hungry residents.

While different zooxanthellae can be recruited by the clam/coral/what-have-you in order to maximize productivity under any reasonable spectrum of tank light....

and yes, indeed, the point is that for the footprint of, say, an NO lamp, your PAR is often never going to cut it: just how many NO bulbs can you realistically cram into the area directly over the tank? For footprint vs output efficiency, you're looking at either MH or VHO (or, if you live in the tropics like me, direct sunlight).

As a further caveat, be prepared to have to step in and feed with plankton surrogates: I know of no Tridacnid clams that can thrive on just the photosynthetic output of their zooxanthellae. Filter feeders like clams still need to eat, and while to a certain extent they can filter some protozoan or algal chow from your tankwater, the question remains as to whether that will be enough.

TMM, Tridacnid clams in the wild can thrive even at considerable depth (and lower light levels) because they get enough energy and building material from the snack-rich waters.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should can anyone tell me exactly what I should get, Where I can get it at (online) and for under $200?????Please help

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i Have 4 bulbs right now, I could hold 4 more

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
could you fit this into your hood. of course this does not include the bulbs, but even with those it will be close to $200. this will add another 440w of light to the tank. i do not think for $200 you could do mh's easily. plus you would then need to address the heat problem.

i do not have any experience with clams and SPS under anything but mh's, but this seems to be the least expensive way to add a boatload of light to your system.

hth,

G~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts