The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I purchased some new live rock a couple days ago, and have found some new things that I'm not sure what they are. I'm attaching a few pictures with hopes that someone will know. Thanks for all your help!

Kelly

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, lashelin. I thought they may be mushrooms, but I wasn't sure. My other mushrooms are flat to the rock, so this is interesting. The third picture is actually imbedded in the rock. It looks like something has dug into the rock or calcified on top of it. It's hard to explain, but it's not something that can be taken off. I think I could probably scrape the red parts off, but th stuff around them look like parts of the rock.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am really curious about that; I hope someone can tell you what it is. I have a few mushies that are like that, I bought them thinking they were the flat kind and I ended up getting a green and blue elephant ear (don't you love when things are mislabeled) and two that look like yours but more reddish maroon (they were all flat at the store).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, this is definitely some type of a small worm. It moved to another spot on the rock since my last post. What you see in the picture is the entire length of its body. Now I'm really googling! Thanks for the links!

·
Registered
146 Posts
in that case, I would put it in a container or something separate from your tank until it can be identified while you can still see it. don't touch it with your hands in case it is a bristleworm, maybe get it gently with some tweezers.

I hope someone can identify it soon!

·
Registered
146 Posts
It looks like it could be some sort of nudibranch? I googled them and didn't see a similar pic, but will keep looking.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking nudibranch too, but I don't see any like it. I have it in a QT tank with a couple other rocks I just bought. I'm interested to see what it is. Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think I found it! Check out chitons. After a quick google search, they seem to be reef safe but not cool for acrylic tanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OMG! I don't see how you found that! I've been looking all over the place, and didn't even come across a chiton. It definitely looks like that. I was trying to find my specific one. It looks like an addition to the rock. :) Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
np :) glad to help. I kept coming over to the computer going, I really want to find that thing. I kept searching nudi's, then worms, then snails, then I was thinking maybe it's a different kind of slug, I don't even remember now how I found it, lol. apparantly they usually look like rolly pollys, yours is pretty :) and they eat algae, so yay for (certain) hitchhikers!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol...I thought it looked like a rolly polly too! That's so funny. I wonder how big it's going to get? Some are really big. That would make an interesting addition to my tank. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts