The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I did it...I purchased Seachem Reef Kalkwasser.

Question 1 - The instructions say 1 tsp to 1 gallon but if using (pure water) 2 tsp for 1 gallon?? Pure Water what do they mean?? and do I use 1 tsp or 2 tsp per gallon? I dont understand.

Question 2 - with dripping this into the tank..I wont need to add Seachem Reef Buffer PH, Reef Advantage Calcium, Reef Builder Alkalinity..Is that true?

And third question - after you mix the kalkwasser there is a white undisolved material what do you do with that and how do you dispose of the material?

Thanks

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Start out with 1 tsp. After a week or two, test again, and adjust accordingly. 1tsp is pretty normal. If you have a HEAVILY loaded SPS tank, you'll need 2. It's hard to say...but I recommend starting at 1.

No, you won't need any of the buffers anymore.

as for the sediment...you just toss it (I dump mine down the toilet). But hopefully, you're drip mechanism accounts for it. Meaning, if you're using a bucket or something, the drain line should be an inch or two ABOVE the bottom. This lets the sediment settle out, and only allows the Kalk WATER above it to drain down into your sump (or whatever).

That make sense?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
skeety said:
No, you won't need any of the buffers anymore.
one thing to add...Kalkwasser use is really great. Once you get used to everything (getting the right amount, mixing it, setting the drip right, etc) it does an amazing job of keeping your Ca and Alk stable!

But it does have ONE downfall...over time, Kalk use will sometimes cause your Mg levels to drop. As a suggestion, I recommend that keep an eye on your Mg levels after about a month of use..and if it's low, once a month, stop using the Kalk for a couple days, and instead...drip in regular RO/DI water with some Mg buffer added. To bring your Mg levels back up. Then go back to dripping Kalk.

Just a head's up on that.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
oh...and ONLY do that if you're using Salifert test kits for Mg.

Mg is a trace element, and ANY other test kit's value is unreliable (IMO) and shouldn't warrent any action.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
depending on you Ca/alk load you may still need to add a two part suppliment. testing will let you know this.

i did not need to add any suppliments to my system after adding a kalk reactor untill i added a 6" squamosa clam. that sucker would siphong Ca/alk at of the wate column like crazy.

G~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts