The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to set up my 3 gallon Pico...Just so I have this right, when I'm starting out with just setting up, I add the newly mixed saltwater, argonite, and live rock and let it cycle, I DONT add any ammolock or stresscoat to the water right? I let it cycle with my shrimp for a week and test my water everyday and log it, then what?? I feel like crying..I think I may need to start over again...:confused: because I thought I was supposed to add ammolock/stresscoat and the measured amount of each item in my Kent's starter set, (Iodine, Liquid Calcium, and strotium/Molybdenum) I hope I didnt kill my poor live rock...I live really far out and dont have a very knowledgable lfs..they just think they are.

·
Happy Clam
938 Posts
There's no need to add any supplements to a cycling tank. First off, you WANT ammonia when it cycles because that's what the bacteria eats. The other supplements are used by corals...which you do not have.

Just stop adding stuff to the tank and let it go. Don't do anything to it. Just let it be. Add water to top it off and let the pumps run.

That's all you need to do. Cycling is the easiest part of this hobby.

Once its cycled, do a couple of water changes at least a day apart before you add fish (to get rid of some the supplements that you added...too much of a good thing is hazardous.)

Also, with a tank that small, I would not add any supplements even when you have corals. Water changes alone will add back any supplements needed.

·
Happy Clam
938 Posts
Another tip, is never add something to the tank that you cant test for.
One other tip: Keep your supplements for when you get a bigger tank...because you probably will get a bigger one when the addiction sets in. ;)

In all seriousness, I do not add supplements to mine. There is NOTHING that my corals need that a weekly water change can't give them. Even if I went two weeks, there's still plenty of the good stuff already in the water for them.

Also, you're live rock is fine. Also, because you have live rock, you may not see a cycle. Do nothing to the tank for a few days, check the water. Wait another couple of days and if ammonia and nitrite and nitratae come back 0, then I'd say you're cycled.

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
Also, remember to be patient. If you rush on the cycle, bad things can happen. Plus, are you sure you want to start off with such a low amount of water? It's very difficult to run a 3 gallon. What are you going to put inside? What kind of filtration do you have? How much lighting do you have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry, I didnt say what type of lighting ect. It's just the standard equipment that comes with the 3 gallon eclipse setup. It has a 6 watt fluorescent lamp, 35 GPH filter that sits on top of the tank, carbon filter cartridge and bio wheel... I did go to Petco tonight and purchased a peppermint shrimp and a Condylacti Anemone. But that is all I am adding for a long time, unless I add some coral, I dont want to overdo it..Thankyou guys so much for helping me :) :fireworks:

·
Little Monster
838 Posts
hmm, a condy is going to be really hard for just a 3 gallon tank...plus I don't know if the lighting is sufficient or not. I also am questioning the filtering. Anyways, good luck.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
carbon is good to run in the tank. I would dump the bio wheel if possible. Also, you will want to upgrade the lighting if you want to keep an anemone or any corals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts