The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
From what I understand fish are very sensitive to light from the blue end of the spectrum, so even though it doesn't look bright to us the black lights (I'm told, please chime in at any time here ;) ) will seem very bright to the fish.

That being said, fish under a black light are cool to watch. At night (in my FO tank) I will turn off the daylight bulb and turn on my black light. To diffuse the light I have the black light mounted at the bottom of the stand, pointing up. This diffuses the light and causes more of a "glow" rather than having the light shine down directly. I also have some of the new laser lights (from petco) to add a few "spot light" effects. (I know, I know, sounds cheesey, but the effect is rather cool)

Once I turn on my "nightlight" most of the fish will go to sleep and the nightlife begins. The extra light doesn't deter the crab and shrimp from coming out, the tank looks like a whole new world. . . :)

·
Super Moderator
22,707 Posts
WELCOME!:beer:

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Welcome to TRT! Best place on the internet!! I have been seriously considering moon lights for my system as well.:)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Back in my fishing days we would use a blacklight to identify our line. According to my uncle the fish couldn't see the light. We caught lots of fish. So either the light attracted them, or they couldn't see it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.