The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use moon lights here ?? Also whats a good one or a retro-kit ?? Also does anyone have some pictures of them in use ?

-Paul

·
Going Broke
1,595 Posts
I do. I built it myself out of light outlets. I'm using a 15W fish light on one side and a 7W blue light on the other.

If you want a retrofit kit, PFO has a moonlight that uses blue LED to illuminate the tank. CustomSeaLife also has one that is similiar for half the price. The PFO one is a cilp-on for your PFO MH moguls.

Check out Marine Depot for pricing.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
the cheapest way, is a simple 7 watt blue party bulb from k mart :)

the led's do look nice, though they will cost a few bucks.

·
Super Moderator
22,407 Posts
i can go into a looooong post about moonlights,being i've been introduced to them from a couple of researchers/developers of them,
bottom line: a LED from the public sector is no way close to the light temp, output etc, as moonbeams(as least the true ones,)
technically , moonlights are not even LEDS in the true sense(again the real ones)
i've seen MANY examples of moonlites, and seen quite a few in action, you are not going to get the light output from a general LED like you would a moonlite type emmiter
if you want a light set up that will give true "moonlite " emmisions ,AND glow up the whole tank , and not just a weak ,poor,faint glimmer that does not reach the bottom of the tank,the only two examples i can suggest is:
Marc Weiss's line(only thing i would ever get from him)
and PFO's MH mogul socket fixture,,,
i've seen the results from testing /comparing a lot of moonlites out there,,,these are two of only a select number of ones that are worth spending my money on.
two things you want out of moonlight fixture , correct moonlight light(which you prob will not see) for nighttime polyp extension,and a light to "see" the tank at night
the two aformentioned products DO that,,a lot of the others might do one or the other,,,
BTW: between you , me , and the skimmer,,,shhhhh,,
expect to see lighting that will equal Metal Halide color, intensity, still have the "ripple effect", in the next year or so,,,,,
little if any heat, VERY low power consumption,full color temp thru out the life of the emmiters,and loooooong life to boot, and it won't be a gazillion "lights" to do this,,,
only down side to these are gonna be intitial cost, but compared to MH bulbs, and their cost ,and replacement schedule, power consumption, heat etc.in most cases it'll be cheaper (greatly) over the life of the new setups on the horizon....
No, i'm not selling them, or have any investment in this, just a guy who has been in the know, by being in contact with thoses that are in the research/development of these lights....

geeez, it DID turn into a looooong post:rolleyes: sorry

WOW, looks like i EARNED my 3000th post,,,,finger cramp. finger cramp:eek:

·
Super Moderator
22,407 Posts
i saw that the Marc Weiss ones (there is a bendable single,and a bar type double light set up ) are not on his website,,,dunno why.

www.premiumaquatics.com
has the PFO style single one on the front page of their website.
one bad thing about this one is it is not flexible, and is made to attach to a MH mogul socket,,,,but it CAN be mounted about anywhere you want ie: canopy

like i said b4, i have seen these and many other brands, in pics (in use) and in person,these two are the only one's i would spend money on,,,

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
hmm..now that is an idea..gumhead..have a pic of the tank with the moon lighting on?

·
Super Moderator
22,407 Posts
Jeremy1973 said:
hmm..now that is an idea..gumhead..have a pic of the tank with the moon lighting on?
not moonlighting,,,,just blue light,,,,
only good for the viewer, not the tank, if that is ok with you,,,go for it,,,:rolleyes:
Never took you for a "Sunken Treasure Chest " kinda guy ,Jeremy
:(

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Custom Sealife has a new line of Moon-Lites as well as PC strip lights with Moon-Lites.

www.customsealife.com

The Moon-Lite can be added to your exisiting setup. I've sold a bunch of 'em. Haven't added one to my own tank but I'm contemplating it.

Jenn

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
So, having blue lights is different that having moon lighting?

And like gumhead said..what do you mean by a sunken treasure kind of guy? Never been called that before. :) And I have been called lots of things. heh heh :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
it seems like he thinks its cheesey!
All a moon light is, is a blue light!
To have any effect on your corals it must be on a controller to imitate the moon fazes. But i do think the fish like the fact that its not completely dark in the tank.

And granted it does look like a strip joint in my canopy but you cant see the rope light when the doors are closed. Like I said it gives off a light blue light in the tank

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
the ropelight is a good idea, but i think it is a little strong to use as a moonlight. i have one 7.5w blue party bulb on my 125g that i use for moonlight. i have it controlled by my aquacontroller. i sometimes think that it is a little bright sometimes.

the problem is that our eyes are not tuned to blue as well as our aquatic friends. what looks ok for us is bright to them.

if viewing is the ultimate goal for the moonlight, then red would be a much better choice. our aquatic friends do not see the red spectrum very well at all. a lot of neat info about bright red being an extremely good camoflage(sp?) colour for fish.

i use the moonlight in my tank to hopefully get some coral breeding when the tank fully matures.

my .02,

G~

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
jsut for the record, i am still wondering how much the cover charge is to get into the 75g? and do you serve alcohol? ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts