The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently purchase this sps coral from 1 of my lfs. Was advised that it is a Montipora. I advised the employee of my lighting nova extreme 2x54w t5s(reflector with individual bends) he stated that it will do fine in my reef. Is this true trt? I also recall reading info prior that leathers can make issues for sps. I have a Green Toadstool leather which is thriving very well in my reef. The Montipora capricornus has been place in the mid section of the reef and extended on a long branch of lr rock to increase the amount of light that it recvds. It has only been my my reef for 2 days so far.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
You just have the 2 bulbs? I imagine that's more of a concern than the leather at this point. SPS corals need a good amount of light, and just two bulbs may not suffice.

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much lighting would you recommend for Montipora capricornus.

also here is a post on my build thread from Aquawolf stated should be able to keep.

I think you might be able to keep acans under it. You can always feed them a little as well. You may be able to keep a birds nest, or some of the montiporas like a cap or a digi, as long as you place them high in the tank.

I would look for someone in your area that can give you a test frag to try out.

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You just have the 2 bulbs? I imagine that's more of a concern than the leather at this point. SPS corals need a good amount of light, and just two bulbs may not suffice.
Also from me raising it to the top of the reef closer to the lights will this help? Or is the lack of light not going to cut it.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
SPS do need high light but for Monti's, they can survive with a lil less than other SPS.

Put iy up high and in good flow. The growth (usually fast with Caps.) will not be all that fast but should be ok..

I actually kept Digitata and it grew well under PC lighting... Years ago...

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will need to repost pic.

this is a paint edit of picture due to I am @ work...

What I have done due to seeing the bleaching I stacked some lr higer and pulled the branch of lr the Montipora is attached to and have it resting on a algae scrapper to increase the light it receives...I also move my light fixture directly above the monti

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked up a monti cap frag (1"x2") Oct 2008. I'm running 2x96W power compacts, it is located near the top. It is pretty large now, I don't have the number of posts to allow posting a pic.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Not bleaching, although some of the tissue may be dying due to handling.
I will need to repost pic.

this is a paint edit of picture due to I am @ work...

What I have done due to seeing the bleaching I stacked some lr higer and pulled the branch of lr the Montipora is attached to and have it resting on a algae scrapper to increase the light it receives...I also move my light fixture directly above the monti

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
sorry to hear of the loss.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts