The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only do a water change once a month on my 38 gallon fowlr. I have 2 false perc clowns and 1 coral beauty. I have been doing this for about a year now aand my tank is healthier than when I did bi monthly or weekly water changes. Why is mine doing so good when people say you HAVE to change the water weekly?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
It all depends on the tank and your bio load. as you are apparently fish only it does not matter as much, now if you are like me, with a 55 with a trigger 3 clowns a wrasse and a golby, 5 acan colony 1 wall hammer and alot of other corals. You need 2 keep the water SPOTLESS. Plus you have 2 add nutrients back into the water for the corals to glow and thrive, as fish do not need this as much not as required

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
You do not have to changes water weekly.

Actually the only reason you need to do a water change at all is the replenish minerals and export nutrients.

If you are not building up nutrients and replenishing minerals you can be very lax on water changes.

In a FOWLER you really do not have much to worry about with minerals as long as you ammonia/nitrites/nitrates are undercontrol your fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts