The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey TRT!

I already posted some of this info last week (in the wrong thread!) and just wanted to shoot an update out there to everyone at TRT!

Been running for a month:

Equipment:

29 gallon tall tank 16.5" T x 24" W x 12" D
18" Fluorescent in standard Aqueon fixture, 6500K T8
GLO 24" T5 HO 1x24W w/Actinic bulb
2- Hydor Koralia Nano pump 425 gph
Tronic 150 watt heater
Aquaclear 30 HOB
Aquaclear 10 HOB
(skimmer and more lights on the way, see the *'s below)

Live Goods:
16# BIOACTIV Crushed Coral Substrate
20# Crushed Coral Substrate
43# Live Rock

Friends:
1 King Midas African Blenny- 'Blennard'
2 Cinnamon Clown- Klaus und Gerta
1 Coral Banded Shrimp- Wenda
2 Red Leg Crab
5 Turbo Snails
2 Feather Duster
1 mushroom frag
1 zoanthid frag
1 candy coral? (If I'm wrong about these or you know for sure please let me know)

*****NOT IN TANK BUT WILL BE DELIVERED BY END OF WEEK:******
ZooMed 24" T5 HO 2x24W
Coralife 65g protein skimmer

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Sounds good. 2 suggestions though.The cinnamon clowns are gonna get big and territorial when they reach adulthood. I would recommend the smaller more docile clowns like the occellaris or the percula in that size tank. Also 5 turbo snails is gonna be overkill. 2 will be plenty in that size tank.

·
13 years old and learning
332 Posts
yep i would skip out on the cinnamon clown as well, occellaris are just as cool:p, i think you mean candy cane coral( Caulastrea furcata). Also i see no need for the HOB filters if you are getting skimmer rated for 65 gallons.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
A few question I would love some opinions about:

1. One of my mushroom polyps seems to be moving over the larger one? Is this ok?

2. What do you guys like to do as you secure new frags to your reef? I have 2 larger turbo's that just bully around my zoanthid and candy coral.

3. Any suggestions for 2 new 24" T5 Ho bulbs I am yet to purchase? My Glo Unit is currently housing the actinic with an 11 hour photoperiod on a timer, then I wake up I turn on the 6500K bulb. I do have a timer and the 2 x ZooMed unit has dual switches. What are you guys thinkin?

4. I had a freshwater tank when I was like 8, and was over at my parents house and found a Fluval 203 120v 3 Stage canister filter. . .
a. Is this too outdated to attempt and use?
b. Could/should I use this to set up a 10-15 gallon sump?

5. Are backgrounds on the glass waaay oldschool? I see most folks are doing black paint, but my MIL (mother-in-law lol that on the acronym list?) runs a sign shop and can print me vinyl graphics for free, thinking about a photo from a Jason Taylor sculpture piece where he sunk stone/concrete forms and just watched them grow, heres the link to his work: http://www.google.com/images?q=jaso...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1116&bih=477
I imagine most reefers will think this is cool.

I really love TRT and honestly have spent so much time on here attempting to glean information from you fellow reefers my gf is starting to complain, and I still can't stop! Any advice anyone can give/share is greatly appreciated and shout outs go to Crazy_about_ Salt , Vizzle 1717 , and Fishluv , for responses on the old thread!

Tried uploading pics but found failure, will try again later and certainly will post once new equipment arrives!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also i see no need for the HOB filters if you are getting skimmer rated for 65 gallons.

Will be taking both HOB's out when skimmer arrives, will probably end up in my quarantine tank for filtration/flow.

I understand the Cinnamon Clown will grow larger, I plan a definite tank upgrade as soon as the lady and I are in a bigger place-not to mention now that I'm totally addicted.

Know of a good frag glue brand?

·
swimming with scissors
122 Posts
1. Yes it's ok. they will move until they are happy.

2. Super Glue gel. just make sure that's where you want them to stay if they are happy.

3. Sky's the limit here. Really depends on how much you want to spend.

4. Canister filters will only become nitrate factories and really should only be used for short periods of time. Running GAC from time to time wouldn't be bad because you will change it out before any nitrates will become a issue.

5. Go for it!

Welcome to saltwater reef keeping! Just remember to go slow (Because nothing in this hobby happens fast...well most good things anyway.) and read and learn before doing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Skimmer update!

Skimmer has been running approximately 3 hours, things are going well I think. Seeing lots of bubbles and foam and actually have a thin dark colored liquid at the bottom of the collection cup.

Am definitely seeing the micro-bubbles described in reviews of the Coralife Super Skimmer 65, I'm about to upload a pic of this big ol' thing HOB in my 29 gallon. Spent the last 2 hours reading about sumps.

I checked into that fluval 203, it is rated at 111 gph, is that too small to use as a return pump for a small sump? I found a neat design for a pvc HOB overflow...I think I could have a sump set up reaaaaalll quick. Then its goodbye micro-bubbles!

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
one thing id done different is the substrate. i had crushed coral like that and it caused probs. but otherwise looks good. welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for the lapse in posts I've been very busy. Chain of events goes like this:

1. New Equipment arrives: Coralife 65g through break in and skimmate is nasty, 2 x 24W T5 HO power glo 10K bulbs.

2. Clown shows signs of Brooklynella, NEW 10 gallon QT tank purchased and set up, freshwater dip and a few days later after treating with ICH-X (3% Formaldehyde solution) now he looks all better.

3. At this point I've got 2 tanks in different rooms, thinking on how that could be better. . .

So I start working on this:

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tank Tower of Power all finished!

Skimmer went in and I started thinking about how much space it took up! Five days later, I'm looking at this:
photo(13).JPG

reef as of 2-12-11.JPG

From Top to Bottom:

#1- 10 g QT (Smaller cinny clown had brooklynella, treated with ICH-X (review to come; approx. 3% Formeldahyde solution)

#2- 29 g reef, no fish currently: Blennard jumped out after the move to the new furniture and I raised the lights (I had totally forgot about that unfortunate attribute of the Midas Blenny...I feel awful about this.)

I also was inspired by the DIY group project, "Invisible Live Rock Stand" and did my own version with 3/4" PVC rods, notched and stood in substrate. It was a little time consuming stacking everything and I know you can tell it is PVC, but eventually it will all get covered in algae and until then or if never the pvc showing isn't a turn off for me. (Will post a pic of this in next post)

#3- Approx. 20 g sump tank housing skimmer, heater and return pump
(Fluval 203 off canister is working great!). I currently don't have a refugium zone set up, but I do have about 10 lbs live rock for bio filtration. Comments on this? Should I make a sun roof in the sump so some light will shine on the live rock and the microorganisms therein?!

Will shoot up more pics when the cabinet panels are all finished!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Diy Pvc Overflow

Totally forgot to mention this was the method I used to build the overflow to take water to the sump! I used a radiator valve (for bleeding air out of radiators) instead of an aqaurium check (couldn't find anywhere and didn't want to order online) its cool it has a key to turn it, Which I glued in place) Going great so far!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts