The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Been lurking around the board for some time. I've always been interested in mantis shrimp, and looked forward to the day when I'd be in the right situation to care for one. I've had great success with my 24g nano cube and 2.5 gallon pico reef this past year, and have decided that maybe its time to take the plunge ;)

So just the other day I went to the LFS (mom and pop with a side order of marine kinda place), and there it is...a giant ~6" Peacock hiding out in a self made rubble dome/burow. They've had it for 2 weeks, and its eating large hermits (2"+ shells) every few days.

I guess I'm wondering if its this large, and is at a place that has only a cursory knowledge of Stomatopods at best, what are my chances of this guy being a smart move. Is it advisable to feed huge hermits like this? Can they damage its smasher?
Most importantly, is getting one this large as a first mantis advisable, or should I look for a smaller specimen, and grow my own ;) I've got a lifetime of expereince with various exotic pets, fishtanks etc, I just want to make the right move to start.

If you were me, would you go for it? ;)

Finally, at this size, how much longer would it have to live? I haven't found much info on longevity and growth rates out there.

thanks much!

-j

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just called the place up, he's going for 70 bux. Btw..how can i tell what sex it is?

Also..will a standard 30-40gallon acrylic tank be completely "smasher proof" for a large Peacock?

thanks,

-j

·
Registered
5 Posts
buy It

I say buy it. I love mine. as for your questions;
They will molt like other crabs/shrimp so if they do damage a smasher, it will come back 100%.
My experience with them smashing at the aquarium is that it doesnt happen as frequently as people say it does. the ones i have seen in captivity dont just go around smashig at their enclosures. It seems like its always some guy's, friend's roomate who had one crack a tank. Just my opinion, but if it happened that much, there would be a half dozen kids on you tube putting them in cheap 10 gallon glass tanks and videoing them cranking it. I have yet to see this. I know it is possible but i have never heard of it directly. Maybe another forum member has some better or more experienced advice.
The longevity I can"t speek to, I too have not found that much info.
Lastly, as far as size. Aside from the tank size requirements, again based on my own limited knowledge, It doesnt seem to matter. A mantis is a mantis. Some are mellow others are a__holes. some kill everything, others can have a few friends. Mine coexists with a small anemone just fine, where I have seen others just pick them too death.
In summation, I say buy it and have fun. Just like I'm sure most of us do with our reefs, you will end up watching it for hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight/info thirsty ;) !

I took some time after lunch today to head back to the store for a closer look. Thought the lighting in the particular tank was pretty dim..This particular 6" or so example is mostly a deep green with red trim on the edges of its plates, with very few of the "leopard spots" I see in the pictures I've been finding. In general it had lots of deep red on the underside/scuppers and smashers, the blue eye stocks, none of the brown/olive coloration I hear they can have, with some violet/purple spots on the tail. Not as much blue or violet as some of the photos I've seen online however..would have liked to see more of it, as well as a few more of the interesting leopard spots I've seen in the pics, etc. The big question here is will it "color-up" more overtime..ie more blue tones? Again the lighting was kinda weak in there so it could have had a bit nicer coloration overall. I'm also assuming from the coloration it has at this size that its male.

Dr.Roy mentions they seem to get more Olive/brown over time..I'm assuming this has to do with higher powered reef lighting "browning them out", etc??

In any case, they also had a 2.5" Neogonodactylus wennerae as well. A nice blue purple coloration overall..very attractive indeed! Would this little guy be as inquisitive and interactive as a Peacock?..If so, it may be worth some concideration it as a slightly smaller alternative.

Anyone have any thoughts on this stuff? Did I find a dud of a peacock in the coloration department?..lol

Any/All input would of course be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

-jasonic

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would go for the peacock if I were you. I just purchased a 4" peacock from stomatopod.com about a month ago and the thing is great. He definitely enjoys destroying crabs, hermit crabs, and snails. This is good for them to do and keeps their "smashers" working well and in good shape. My guy will even smash pieces of live rock off in order to use it as building material for his burrow.

He's very interactive and will come up and grab raw shrimp out of the plastic tweezers that I use to feed him. He's definitely much more interesting than other predatory aquatic creatures that I've had in the past (piranhas, catfish, etc).

I know that sexing them is definitely possible but I can't remember how to do it (though I read it online somewhere). Stomatopod.com sexes all their mantis shrimp that they have in stock so they know how to do it well.

From what I have seen, you should go for activity and interactivity over coloration if you want to get the best bang for the buck. How much is great coloration worth if the mantis shrimp spends his entire day in a dark burrow?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts