The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned last week that after I got my tank straightened out I was going to look into electronic monitors. Well I looked and OMG my hair hurts! :confused:

It makes sense if you have a monitor on a calcium reactor. But I see monitors for salinity & PH but I see no type of feed systems for these monitors, so I have a few questions.

Do then make PH reactors or feed systems to go with the monitors? I dont see any.

Are they necessary?

Is it worthwhile to have a monitor and no automated feed?

Thanks
Mike

·
Administrator
48,701 Posts
a pH monitor is obviously very handy with a calcium reactor. I would recommend a good one even without, they are more accurate than color change test kits and will give you a better idea of the pH rise/fall(normal) over the course of a day.
I believe most of the better aqua controller devices have ports for pH,orp, temp etc monitors and have the ability to control devices that can maintain params within a certain range, ie activating a Kalk reactor if pH drops below a setpoint, helping to bring it back up. The normal trend in a closed system is pH decline do to CO2 both from air /water interface and the respiration cycles of fish and inverts.
ORP basically indicates levels of dissolved organics in water column and is usually modified by activating an ozonizing device. These don't seem as common as they once were, but it seems that most hi end controllers have provision for dealing with this as well as programmable timers for powerheads/pumps, lighting , and temp probe inlets that can be used to drive fans or cycle a chiller off/on
All sorts of neat things to make life easier. Some have the ability to hook up to an old PC, like an old 486 mghz and with available soft ware can automate a lot of tasks that lead to stable tank. Heck some can even page you at work if params get outta wack.
But back to the basic issue, a pH monitor along with a hi quality calcium and alk test kit will make it easier to monitor those areas, and they are all related so the better the data the better the result.
As for salinity, I am not sure how accurate they are, and I dont know of anything that you can hook up to it that would make changes to maintain a set SG. I would invest in a good refractometer and monitor as needed, HTH

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Doug.

So I looked a little deeper and was wondering how do most of he people here drip kalc, reactor or gravity?

Is it worth having to hook up Co2. Betwen the reactor ( knoop, BTW these any good?) the Co2 and the controllers were looking
at a pretty large outlay. It's nice to be infront of the tank instead of behind it testing and adding all the time ;) I realize a reactor will kill 2 birds with one stone Kalc & alk. This is a good thing.
I just would like to be sure this is worthwhile and will work well before I spend the cash.

Any rec's on a good make up for a system?

Next question.
Deterius (sp?) Will an ozonizer help remove small particle matter? I change the water, and run a diatom without powder, and I still have small particle matter floating around. Totally unacceptable. I realize the tank is still young ( 6 months ) is this common in young tanks with the algae starting to go away? I figure the dead algae is adding to a lot of the particle matter.

Thanks
Mike.

PS
Ooooooooooooo look what I found! This I assume is one of our sponsors?
http://www.reeffanatic.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.