The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the tanks from Jellyfish Art for quite some time now and really want to try my hand at keeping jellies. While the company has been absolutely great in their communication with me, and there are plenty of items I plan to get from them, their tanks are not a perfect fit for me. The 10 gallon Desktop Tank ($249) is the only one I can afford, but it is smaller than I would like. The next tank up is the 40 gallon Monaco ($2,900), which is way out of my price range but closer to the size I would like.

After discussing the design of the design of the tank with Jellyfish Art, I've begun to consider making the tank myself. It is a modified Kreisel, with a vertical cylinder and a bubbler tube in the center. This bubbler causes a mushroom at the top and, since the filter is at the bottom, the water is pulled along the side of the tank and back in towards the center. It is a much simpler design than a Full or Pseudo Kreisel, and from all of the feedback I have heard, it is very successful with their jellies.

I had a few questions I thought I would bring to the community.
(1) What thickness of acrylic should I be purchasing for the cylinder?
(2) What type of filter/bubbler would you suggest? Should I try mounting the one that Jellyfish Art already makes?
(3) Any other thoughts or suggestions?

*Note* I tried to provide links to the original tanks that I am basing my designs from, but I am new to the forums and was not able to. To see them, just Google search "Jellyfish Art"

·
Registered
814 Posts
those people are scam artists, thats just a little tank with an undergravel filter, bogus, you can get the same thing at any chain pet store for maybe 30 bucks.... however, you will not keep a jelly alive in that tank....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know that it is really fair to call them scam artists. I have found people who have talked about their experience with the tanks who have been as successful as any other jelly raisers. These were not just reviews on the site, but from independent sources (unfortunately, I again cannot link to them because of my new status).

However, I believe I am wrong to call this a Kreisel design at all. From what I have found, it is a more of a modified Biorb, sometimes called a BioUbe (because of it's tUbe like shape). These have an undergravel filter, as you mentioned, and have been found to have a current which is very similar to a Kreisel design. These can be found for closer to $100. That being said, Jellyfish Art has optimizsed theirs to mimic the Kreisel further. The bottom is curved to aid the water flow, and the materials used are all conducive to protecting the delicate jellies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was planning to get acrylic tubing. You can purchase it in wide diameters with thickness up to .375 inches. Buying the tubing prefabricated will solve the problem of bending and connecting the two ends.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
do you have the basic dimensions yet? i would think that the acrylic should be at least 3/8" thick for the sides.

i do not think the bubbler will provide enough flow for what you are thinking. it will also create 2 separate current zones. not necessarily a bad thing, but you might want to think of this during the design. as in, if you decide to go with the middle bubbler, make the bubbler go from the front of the tank to the back to make sure that the flow is maintained in the two sides of the tank. i suggest going with a small pump instead of a bubbler and creating a false bottom to hide the pump intake for the safety of critters. though

i do not see why you would not create a Kreisel if you are going to be building the tank from scratch.

G~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts