The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering if anyone has any advice for me. Im consdering upgrading my existing CPR dual bak pak by doing the airstone mod, adding the bubble trap accessory and the surface skimmer attachment.

I just haven't been blown away by this thing since I got it and have allready replaced three pumps. (in about 1.5 years) So should I spend 80$ moding and and tweaking this or spend more and just get a new HOB skimmer?

If you reccomend a new skimmer please suggest something under 200$, hangs on the back, and will work for a fully stocked (maybe even overstocked) 46 gallon. Quiet is a plus but performance is priority.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
New skimmer...

I love modding skimmers but I have to say that the mods will not likely achieve what you are looking for in a skimmer (You could spend as much as $100 on the mod and still need a new skimmer). On the other hand, I do not recommend any small HOB skimmers.

You said that performance is a priority... and HOB skimmers are not really worth the money. I would recommend putting your budget towards a overflow/sump. It will help out the tank more than you think. Even if it is an overflow box (U-tube design only) leading to the sump, it will do more than a HOB skimmer. Then you can add a small in-sump skimmer that is between $140-200 that will blow the pants off any HOB skimmer... even those that are $500+. I know sumps can be scary but once you have one you will never go back. That is why I have a drilled 40B when I was forced to downsize.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added the airstone mod, since all it took me was a few feet of tubing. Man this things seems to acutally be working. Im gonna take the advice above and not bother with the other upgrades and opt for a sump sometime soon.

FWIW, this mod is really worth it and should probably be added to this unit right out of the box.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you are considering a HOB, then the Octopus BH-2000 would be a good choice. Here is one in action, on a 34g Solana at that. I can send you the link and can read the owner's own words of how this performs -

The Eshopps HOB PSK-100 is also a good choice, but I don't know what your tank size is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts