The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating adding more flow.

I have a 180 with 2 closed loops, both Darts at 3000gph. One runs an OM Squirt out 3/4" returns and another constant 1" return in the middle top of the tank. The other Dart runs two 3/4" returns 3" from the bottom, aimed at the bottom. Also about 700 gph on the sump return.

The delimma is all of the detrius that settles in the rock. When I blow off the rock with a powerhead, I get STN on some corals from the ammonia spike from the newly suspended detrius.

I am thinking of adding another Dart on an OM 4-way using the over-the-top modified closed loop. I would aim them at the front glass to bounce back at the rock and corals. The corals have enough random flow to keep the polyps waving around and fully extended already.

Think this would be too much flow? 9500 gph on a 180g

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes also I think your restricting those pumps . I had an ampmaster 3000 on my 120 and used 4 1 inch returns for it . If you go smaller you are increasing head which reduces flow.

IMO keep what you have and add 2 Tunze 6100's and maybe the 7095 multi controller.

I run 2x6200 tunze streams,3x6100's and a wave box.

6100's are 3175 max gph and the 6200's are 5285gph or close to that . All use 1/2 the power of your closed loop.

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
clockwork said:
Yes also I think your restricting those pumps . I had an ampmaster 3000 on my 120 and used 4 1 inch returns for it . If you go smaller you are increasing head which reduces flow.

IMO keep what you have and add 2 Tunze 6100's and maybe the 7095 multi controller.

I run 2x6200 tunze streams,3x6100's and a wave box.

6100's are 3175 max gph and the 6200's are 5285gph or close to that . All use 1/2 the power of your closed loop.
clockwork has nailed this one dead on ! i am putting together a 180 and will not be putting another closed loop in . i almost bought a hammerhead pump , and thanks to clearer thinking minds was successfully swayed from its purchase . the tunzes are just to efficient, i know the up front cost is more but i think you would make out better . just think a lot less plumbing to do , a lot less leaks that will happen . i am the first to admit to over tinkering , but sometimes it is better to just sit back and rethink ! i plan on keeping the same return pump i'm using on my 75 and using it on the 180 . but i will be adding a couple more tunzes on a controller . plus a couple other things up my sleeve :cool: !

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
yep, 3/4" outlets are eating up all of your flow from the Dart. :( 6000gph should be a good amount of flow for a 180 with properly setup LR.

how to fix this is not going to be fun. you either need to replace the Darts with a higher head pressure pump, or block off the holes and go with Tunze's. using the Darts is just wasting electricity.

G~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts