The Reef Tank banner

MJ 1200 Mod Troubles

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  ckusnierek 
#1 ·
To all of you who have done the homemade MJ 1200 mod with pvc shroud and model boat propeller:

My powerhead will now only push water if it is able to suck in air with it, otherwise the shaft bounces around and it won't push anything at all. Any idea what could cause this? I am thinking maybe it is stalling out. I used the version with two propellers arranged like a screw. Maybe the weight of the water is preventing it from biting unless it is mixed with air? I don't know, but I hope someone knows a solution to this.

#5 ·
My beef with the korila is that I was replacing them every 9-12 months. They were under warranty, but it was a pain. I still recommend them for people though as they are great for the money. Who knows, perhaps they fixed the problem since the last one I got has been running for over a year with no problems, but I use it to mix salt in a 44 gallon brute now;)

Currently I'm running a MJ1200 modded with the sureflo kit and after the first couple days of rattling, it has done great. No issues at all... And I modified a korila magnet to hold it in place:funny:

#6 ·
With the quality and relatively low price of the available Maxi mods out there is little reason to go through the trouble of the DIY mods. The nice look and fit of the molded shroud alone is enough reason to buy one of the kits.

#9 · (Edited)
I've read a few posts about the stopper being of a better design over the sureflo and that they work better on a mavemaker. But I couldn't get them locally and grabbed a sureflo, but I don't plan on running it on any type of a wavemaker. Ultimately it is just in there until I can get another vortec... but lights are next on the buy list;)

#10 ·
Alright, well I can get the Ecomod for $15 right down the street. I'll give it a shot. I won't be using a wavemaker or anything, so that wasn't a consideration for me. I just need something that produces better flow than the original and doesn't sound like a jackhammer in my tank :)

#11 ·
because the anti reverse of the eco mod is built into the rubber bushing there is almost no noise. I have been running mine for 20min on/5 min off for a month without a single click out of it.

#13 ·
Alot of people complain about how loose the shroud fits. I just put a small piece of electrical tape on one if the tank and that made it very snug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.