The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently had a fairly minor aiptasia outbreak. i wasnt too worried at first but lately they have been spreading like wildfire. I have a scarlet skunk cleaner in my tank, but was advised by my lfs that i can keep a peppermint shrimp with him which would help with this. is this sound advice? I seem to remember reading that there is an inherent risk with mixing species of shrimp...?

If there is a risk, how likely are things to go horribly wrong?

Thanks guys

-IckleSprog

·
Registered
64 Posts
These can be mixed...with caution. Typically the Cleaner shrimp will be more dominant, but each will need their own territory. As long as you get the peppermint shrimp smaller then the cleaner you should be ok. How big is your tank?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank is 23 gallons, the cleaner is fairly large and tends to sit behind an arch of liverock on the left hand side, he doesnt really move from there unless its feeding time. I'm hoping that if I get a peppermint it'll adopt the right hand arch to live in and they'll leave each other alone haha :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's a small tank to try that in, but it might be better than the aiptaisia problem spreading. I would start with just one peppermint.... do your research on them and make sure you actually get a peppermint, not just a camel shrimp marked a peppermint, and make sure it is smaller then the cleaner and just observe them for a few days. Another option is to see if your LFS will house your cleaner or if you have a QT put him in there. Then get two or three peppermint, let them do their job, then return them to the LFS for credit. My LFS lets us do this from time to time if needed, never hurts to ask.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
peppermints work better in groups... a pack of three would be better in aiptasia hunting as well as defense against a cleaner. Eventually the cleaner will either tolerate them if he gets enough food or he will kill them off slowly. If the cleaner has his territory, then introduce the peppermints away from him and the feed him as well. Just constantly feed him and that should reduce aggression.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts